• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

HOHNER ACCORDION LIFE?

M

maugein96

Hi,

I'd never heard of this site at all, although B system chromatic looks as though it may be supported in the Serbian accordion lessons they sell.

If you weren't already aware, the most common Serbian accordion is the 6 row B system with a flat (i.e. not stepped) treble keyboard.

The playing style is unique to that instrument and I don't know to what extent they use the 6th row, but the rest of the accordion is basically the same as your B system chromatic.

There used to be a B system chromatic accordion teacher in Paris, whose name I cannot now remember, and one or two of his pupils played the 6 row Balkan Star model accordions, by several Italian makers, including Guerrini and Dallape.

The late John Leslie of "Accordions of London" also taught B system and I believe he has a son who also plays that system.

B system chromatic was very popular in France, Belgium, and The Netherlands for many years, although you must be one of the very few B system players currently in the UK.

The Deschamps technique looks interesting but I've tried so many different methods for C system that my fingers are now putty, and every new method means another brainwash if I'm going to get the hang of it. I taught myself to play C system, but never started out until I was in my 30s, and I often absence myself from here at times to concentrate on the electric guitar, which is the only instrument I have ever managed to play reasonably well.

If you end up recommending that website I'm sure there may be one or two members who could be interested in it.

G

GOM

Thanks for the interest @maugein96. You are probably not aware that I have switched to B CBA due to contracture of the tendon of the little finger on my right hand. Having three good fingers and a thumb I decided to try a button rather than give up entirely. I have tried both systems and need to get my almost useless pinky out of the way, and the position of my hand feels more comfortable with B system.
I have bought the first translated Serbian book advertised on this particular website, it is for a 5 row B accordion but very basic and probably a little too siimple for my need, but I will use it in adapting to my gammy finger.
There are some very interesting articles in the archived magazines but these may only be accessable to registered users.

Regards GOM

M

maugein96

Hi GOM,

20 years ago I was involved in a near fatal head on car crash (we collided with a skip lorry), and the bonnet of the car I was travelling in came through the windscreen and severed a tendon on the back of my right hand. The surgeon explained to me that he would have to undertake an emergency operation as the tendon concerned controlled movement of both the third finger and the pinky.

The operation was a success and I was described as having made a "virtual full recovery" from that and all the other injuries I received. However, it took a few years before I could get my fingers doing what I once expected of them, and in truth I still have the odd issue with the fingers concerned. I hadn't thought of changing to B system but that might have been the wisest thing to have done.

I almost gave up playing altogether but the French player, Joe Rossi, lost the third finger of his right hand in WW2, and had the stump removed so that he could get back playing. That sort of gave me encouragement to persevere, but Joe Rossi's pinky is about the size of my right index finger, so I abandoned any idea of leaving my pinky out of the equation, as I needed all the fingers I had.

I was a reasonable amateur player until the accident, but there is little doubt that I now cannot play anywhere near as well as I once could. I often put the accordions away for months at a time and have never played since about June this year. I still get a lot of pleasure out of listening, and when I want to actually play music then I usually reach for the guitar. Mind you a lot of guitar styles now feature fingerstyle playing, so I am also kind of limited for scope there as well. Fortunately the styles I play use a plectrum, which I can manage without recourse to use of my damaged fingers. My hand actually looks normal, it's just that my fingers no longer have the range of movement they once had.

Keep up with the B system. Learning again on a new system will probably give you the drive to keep going.