• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

High Plains Tango - novel with accordionist

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
"High Plains Tango" by Robert James Waller includes an accordionist, Gabe, who plays the dance music people want, but loves to play tangos for his own pleasure, or when he can sneak them into his set. (Interestingly "Amelie" is one of his favorite songs, no surprise there.) Even though his tangos feature in the novel title, there is very, very little about him in the book, unfortunately. Its mostly a character sketch about a carpenter named Carlisle (son of that guy in "Bridges of Madison County") who moves to the high plains and features in topical dynamics of "progress," self actualization, native American spirituality, conservation, relationships and the like. Interesting for those interested in this kind of thing, as usual. I'm quite convinced Waller was a frustrated tex mex accordion player who channeled the love and lust into his stories rather than his (Puerto Vallarta) squeezebox.

Last edited:
....and I quote:

"And, Lord, Gabe still loves to play the tangos. Sometimes the other old man will ask him to get out his accordion late at night, when the two of them are sitting around in the bungalow. He plays the Paris songs. Plays them real sweet and watches his friend walk to the window and look out across the lake, wiping in his eyes when he thinks Gabe isn't looking."

So there you have it.

Back