• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Hi - just signed up

dobieg

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I've just signed up from South East Scotland

At the moment I'm more of a "fixer-upper" than a player, although I've been met with limited sucsess so far - I've picked up a fewf beaten up and non-functional instruments which I hope to work on, most are "previously abandoned projects" by other people picked up for next to nothing, but I'm determined to put right their shortcomings (I start from the principle of not touching anything which which would be remotely economical to fix, rather than ruin a perfectly good one!)

Hoping I might be able to pick up some hints and tips, everyone seems very helpful, so when I've finished trawling through teh previous posts I might have a few questions, which will hopefully be easily answered!

So far I've collected a Stagi 20 note c-series concertina, which was an easy fix (dirt in the reeds) a 100 year old 4-stop german melodion (dead wax, "crispy" valves, which I'm working on) a completely wrecked Hohner Verdi (dead wax, some fool ad tried to replace valves with cottin gauze of all things) and in a moment of madness a beat-up Russian Bayan - where the wax had been repaired with plasticine (I jest not!) - it's just about up and rinning, a couple of notes still squeek and wheeze, butthat's just going to take time.

My most recent acquisition is an absolutely gorgeous blue and yellow 1938 41/120 musette "La Divina" (no maker, but suspect it's Hohner) -it's been dropped and the keyboard has snapped off, but it's well on it's way to being carefully fixed - I have high hopes of getting this working in the next couple of weeks :)

Any initial advice would be greatly appreciated (I already know to keep oil as far away from the mechanism as possible!)

Glenn

Been here for ages!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your stories of ”fixer-uppers”.

JIM D.

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score

embers

Reaction score
Before long, dobieg, any of us who are non-fixer-uppers (I'm in that group) will be hearing advice from your experience.
Welcome to the conversation.