• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Hi from Seattle!

accordionista

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new (both to this forum, and the accordion). I've been playing the accordion for about 6 months now, and absolutely adore it. I'm really enjoying learning more about it on this forum now that I've discovered it as well. I feel like every time I open thread here I learn something new about the instrument, or its history. So thank you for making this community, and for having me :)

I have a long history as a brass musician, so there's something of a musical foundation there, but keyboard instruments, and having to deal with polyphony is something my brain is not (yet) good at! I quite enjoy jazz, and I've been getting a lot of enjoyment learning how to voice any and all kinds of chords with the left-hand Stradella.

Interestingly, I had my first brush with the accordion about a decade ago, but it didn't stick. I picked up a cheap accordion to play in an Irish folk band, and learned the melody parts in the right-hand. It fit the music, and was fun, but just as an instrument it always felt too bright and brash for my taste. It wasn't until recently that I learned about cassotto, and some of the warmer possibilities of the accordion. As soon as I heard the bassoon and clarinet in the chamber, I knew I had found something special! Then I went to the local accordion shop, and learned that my taste for tone chamber meant I had a taste for the expensive ones. Just my luck!

Now I have a beautiful instrument (imo), and am practicing diligently :) looking forward to growing musically, and learning from everyone here. Thank you again for having me here!