• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Hi from Japan

Tomoko

Reaction score
I'm an amateur accordion player in Japan. I started to learn accordion 3 years ago.(I'm 28 years old now) My dream is studying abroad to improving my skill, because Japanese college of music haven't major subjects for accordion(This musical instrument is not very popular in Japan). As my age, experiences, language skills,this dream may so difficult..But I want to study professional skills,SOMEDAY! As you may know I respect great Japanese accordion player "Mie Miki"(She is in Germany). Miki is my accordion teacher's master. These days, I feel depressed by losing any chance to play accordion and go abroad because of covid-19😢 Can you say something encouraging?And I'd like to know your dream for accordion. Thank you for reading my post.

Glenn

Been here for ages!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for posting the clip of Mie Miki. It was a great performance.
Aspiring to Such a musician will be motivational indeed (if not a little daunting).
Good luck with your accordion studies. Look forward to hearing your first “I did that” posting.

dunlustin

Site Supporter
Reaction score
You know where you want to go as a musician so Covid-19 will not stand in your way too long - just think of all those years of dreams, study and achievement.
What an adventure you have begun!

D

Deleted member 48

Hello there and welcome to the forum !
One of my first accordion cd recordings I bought was the one Mie Miki made with Domenico Scarlatti sonatas arranged for accordion (the one she made for Amnesty International in the beginning of her career).

Have fun with your accordion, it's a music instrument for everyone, from beginners to virtuosos.

Eddy Yates

Reaction score
Welcome, Tomoko! Very happy that you love the accordion. It is very hard to be positive about the future with Covid 19, but we will conquer it! Just keep practicing, learn all you can from videos and online teachers, play for your friends and family, and make videos.
I’ve been to Japan 4 times, and I look forward very much to hearing your music.
Arigato.
Nihon ha subarashii kuni desu.

Stephen Hawkins

Experienced Gentleman.
Reaction score
Hi Tomoko,

Welcome to the forum, where I feel sure you will receive all the help and advice you need.

I understand your desire to progress swiftly, but urge you to take a more measured approach. Young people like yourself tend to want everything to happen quickly, while old men like myself are more philosophical. The correct balance is probably to be found somewhere between those two extremes, and I hope you are able to find that balance.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Tomoko

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for posting the clip of Mie Miki. It was a great performance.
Aspiring to Such a musician will be motivational indeed (if not a little daunting).
Good luck with your accordion studies. Look forward to hearing your first “I did that” posting.
Thank you Glenn! Yes, she is one of my great motivation for practicing accordion. A few days ago, I took my video on Youtube. I'll try to post it!

Tomoko

Reaction score
You know where you want to go as a musician so Covid-19 will not stand in your way too long - just think of all those years of dreams, study and achievement.
What an adventure you have begun!
Certainly, this period is for study..! Thank you for the kind words. They were very encouraging!

Tomoko

Reaction score
Hello there and welcome to the forum !
One of my first accordion cd recordings I bought was the one Mie Miki made with Domenico Scarlatti sonatas arranged for accordion (the one she made for Amnesty International in the beginning of her career).

Have fun with your accordion, it's a music instrument for everyone, from beginners to virtuosos.
Really?! I'm so glad to know Mie Miki is your first accordion CD recordings. Since I met accordion, every day has been so much fun! Thank you.

Tomoko

Reaction score
Welcome, Tomoko! Very happy that you love the accordion. It is very hard to be positive about the future with Covid 19, but we will conquer it! Just keep practicing, learn all you can from videos and online teachers, play for your friends and family, and make videos.
I’ve been to Japan 4 times, and I look forward very much to hearing your music.
Arigato.
Nihon ha subarashii kuni desu.
Thank you for your reply! Just keep practicing..., I think this words is essential for music. And, I want to try online lessons by teachers from all over the world. A few days ago, I took my video on Youtube.( I'll try to post it on “I did that”)
I am glad to hear that you like Japan! I think Japanese food is the best. Although the number is small, there some accordion shops in Japan. If you got to Japan next, please try to go there.

Tomoko

Reaction score
Hi Tomoko,

Welcome to the forum, where I feel sure you will receive all the help and advice you need.

I understand your desire to progress swiftly, but urge you to take a more measured approach. Young people like yourself tend to want everything to happen quickly, while old men like myself are more philosophical. The correct balance is probably to be found somewhere between those two extremes, and I hope you are able to find that balance.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.
I was very impressed with your message. What is the correct balance for my life? For a few days, I've been thinking.That's how much your words were powerful. In Japan, many people think 28 years old is too late to study new things. I was too impatient. I decided to live my life being me.
Thank you for your wonderful message.

Stephen Hawkins

Experienced Gentleman.
Reaction score
Hello Tomoko,

Thank you for your kind words.

I was 67 or 68 when I first picked up an accordion, though I had previously played the Clarinet. It is true to say that I would have made better progress had I started to play the accordion earlier in life, but we can only deal with the situation we are in.

Only you can determine the correct balance in your life. All we older people can hope for is that you get it right.

For myself, given my age, the best I can hope for is that I attain a reasonable standard. Perfection will not be possible in the time I have left.

Please keep us informed about your progress, which I feel sure will be rapid.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.