• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Hi All New Member And Dumb Guitar Player

Bootlegger

Reaction score
Thank you for allowing my membership
Bought a vintage Hohner Cajun with a B tattooed on it. The first three noted are D F B flat. Is this beauty tuned to B or ? Trying to use it in my band so need some advise as to the actual diatonic tuning. Sorry in advance if this is not worded correctly or a dumb question.
Chuck Wilson Bootlegger Guitar. 6D57A545-817B-417F-8D3E-58D561BADD2C.jpeg75CAE352-935F-472D-BB67-3157241AB33E.jpeg
Hi Chuck,

If standard, it's tuned to Bflat.
The notes on the push are a succession D F Bb D F Bb D F....
The pull notes fill in the scale - goes pull,pull,push at the end to keep it regular.
two wrinkles:
Cajun boxes are sometimes not tuned to equal temperament.
As an old box, maybe not tuned to A=440Hz - maybe low as 435 maybe 455
You could get a tech to tune it to A440
Sometimes played like a 'blues harp' - mostly on the pull giving a major 3rd (fga) and flat 7 (Eb)
(looks in amazing condition)

Last edited:
Thank you, very helpful and yes she is in great condition. Are there good techs in the US ?

Thank you, very helpful and yes she is in great condition. Are there good techs in the US ?
Welcome Chuck! Cool find, enjoy it. The good news is that yes, there are good techs in the US. The bad news is that unless you live in Duluth or Chicopee they are few and far between, the US being, like, big and all. If you get into playing it, you're best off fixing it yourself or buying a playable one in good shape. The good techs will (acceptably) charge you more than it's worth to restore that baby.

Bootlegger just in case you don't know where to start and Cajun being a bit niche,
maybe this could help:

If it does need tuning to A440 it's not as if you're looking at a piano accordion.
Or if you're feeling confident just get the others to tune to you!

Back