• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Hens' teeth and rockinghorse droppings.

Ffingers

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am still desperately looking for someone to sell me a more-than-half-decent, lighter-than-a-sack-of-spuds, Bgriff CBA which they are prepared to pack up and post to Western Australia for less than the price of a vintage type35 Bugatti.
Any offers?

Dingo40

Been here for ages!
Reaction score
Ffingers ,
How are you getting along with it?🤔
When you've got plenty of lemons...make lemonade!🙂👍

Last edited:

Ffingers

Site Supporter
Reaction score
The silence is deafening, mate.
It would appear that those who do have such a beastie are unwilling to let go of their pet squeezie.
To add to the angst, recent x-rays indicate that the "discomfort" (read agony) in my hands, arms, hips and knees is caused by well established osteo-arthritis.
Who'd have guessed?
But I maintain a reasonable degree of flexibility for all that, so I'll keep looking for a less hefty 'box and, now that the wet-and-windy Winter is setting in, open up the little East German Firotti and have a go at making it less painful on the ears.
Thanks for your thought :)

Dingo40

Been here for ages!
Reaction score
Ffingers,
My sympathies about the mounting infirmities of age.
But you're far from alone: I too have been increasingly plagued by rheumatoid arthritis etc: it's a damned nuisance!
But we have to soldier on and do what we can😀
One of my accordions weighs 12 kg without its box. I can still lift it down from the 2 m tall wardrobe, where it lives.
Of course, I alternate it with some lighter instruments on different days!🙂
As Waldo says: "Press on!" 😁
In the meantime, you're not considering even if temporarily filling into with your excellent six row B griff CBA?🤔

Last edited:

Walker

Reaction score
I have been keeping an eye on ebay for a b griff. I might as well be looking for a griffin...

Now, I don't mention digital accordions much (ever). But maybe a Roland FR4xb...

If you have reservations about accordions that are not traditional, I understand. I feel the same. But I would think as a second instrument it might be terrific fun.

Ffingers

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, Walker - tempting, but out of my fiscal reach apart from me not really liking synthetic sounds.
But, should a decent secondhand one come my way... ;)

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, Walker - tempting, but out of my fiscal reach apart from me not really liking synthetic sounds.
But, should a decent secondhand one come my way... ;)
You may even find a used fr1xb with plenty of buttons and a reasonable price. Yea, it's not an acoustic, but you may learn to appreciate the advantages it does have since you already have a fine acoustic. Ie, my fave - the volume knob.

Skari

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I recently shipped a Pigini converter from Minneapolis to Australia. The cost with DHL's 30% discount was still around USD 1,000. The buyer said that Australians are accustomed to paying a lot for shipping. Maybe there are cheaper alternatives.

Ffingers

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, Skari, the "tyranny of distance" is still an overarching difficulty, especially if, like me, you chose to live in a rural district which is over 200 miles from the most isolated capital city in the developed world!
There are considerable compensations for doing so, though. :)

Dingo40

Been here for ages!
Reaction score
"Maybe there are cheaper alternatives."
One that comes to mind is taking an overseas trip to select an accordion , leaving your luggage behind and bringing the accordion home as luggage instead: you have a 25 kg allowance.😄
Effectively, you have a $1 k discount on your fare🙂

petch

Reaction score
"Maybe there are cheaper alternatives."
One that comes to mind is taking an overseas trip to select an accordion , leaving your luggage behind and bringing the accordion home as luggage instead: you have a 25 kg allowance.😄
Effectively, you have a $1 k discount on your fare🙂
The only way to do this safely is to either book an extra seat for your accordion (very expensive from Australia, I imagine) or buy a bag like this to split the accordion so it can fit in the overhead storage. I would NOT put an accordion through hold luggage!

1652658563642.png