• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Help with this song

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireSpirit

Reaction score
Hello guys! I have this sheet music for piano, is my favorite hymn. But, is a lot of chords (in the bassland)! There is a way to "simplify" them(in basses)? How I play this song without much difficult? Thanks for attentions and knowledge.
Scan1.jpgScan2.jpg

Replace Dm7, Db and Gm7 with F; Am7 with C. Simplify all chords to major or minor as indicated (ignore 7s) and ignore bass notes indicated for chords..
You're then playing in I, IV, V, (F, C, Bb) and G7.

Try it out, if it doesn't work, adjust the chord(s) that don't sound quite right, or just play the root note. Also, you can simplify the treble to a single line melody.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Or perhaps play the bass notes only on the sections where there are chromatic run downs. C, B, Bb, A, Ab, G etc
At a quick glance of tune i can see this device is used quite often so probably really relevant and integral part of 'the sound'
Just my idea of how i might approach interpretation

I agree with Losthobos. If you are going to play the right hand pretty much as printed, then all the notes in the chords are already covered. Try to play as many of the single bass notes as you can, and as many right hand notes as you can, and ignore the chord symbols. When there are 2 notes in the bass, play the lowest note.
A lot of music is written this way. All those confusing chord symbols are just describing what chords are already being created when you read the music. In case a guitar player wants to play along or something...

One way to simplify this piece: in every bar that only contains only one chord symbol, just play the first printed bass note as a whole note. It will still sound really good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back