• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Help me identify this used serenelli

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bloke in the next stret to me came up with a couple of piano accordions for me to play with, not on, but to dissemble and investigate.
They are both Serenelli, one of which has the markings etched crudely on it '147/29 ' the other has a serial number on a small, button sized decal 'Made in Italy 31059. Both have been very well used/abused and neither has been well stored. Here's some pics of them:-
Can anyone suggest some history for me?

Attachments

• IMG_0045.JPG
    IMG_0045.JPG
    611.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0046.JPG
    IMG_0046.JPG
    662.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0047.JPG
    IMG_0047.JPG
    716.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0048.JPG
    IMG_0048.JPG
    719.7 KB · Views: 14
A bloke in the next stret to me came up with a couple of piano accordions for me to play with, not on, but to dissemble and investigate.
They are both Serenelli, one of which has the markings etched crudely on it '147/29 ' the other has a serial number on a small, button sized decal 'Made in Italy 31059. Both have been very well used/abused and neither has been well stored. Here's some pics of them:-
Can anyone suggest some history for me?
The one with the old typewriter style register switches is definitely older than the one with the "flat" register switches, all likely between 1935 and 1950.
But... one very very important word of advice: when you open up an accordion you must absolutely NEVER let any pets (or family members) get anywhere close. They must be banned from the room you are working in.

The one with the old typewriter style register switches is definitely older than the one with the "flat" register switches, all likely between 1935 and 1950.
But... one very very important word of advice: when you open up an accordion you must absolutely NEVER let any pets (or family members) get anywhere close. They must be banned from the room you are working in.
I have no intention of making these boxes work properly again - they are purely for my own education - under the supervision of my feline overlords/ladies, of course ;-)

The older one with the portholes is a 30's early 40's. Those porthole flappers were the first attempt at a workable grill mute
" The Original Sordina " . Back in the day this design was used by more than one Italian maker most notably Scandall.
Many Scandalli's with this grill mute can be found today as they continued making a model with this feature well into the
50's. The 2nd model in your pic' is a mid 40's late 50's.

The older one with the portholes is a 30's early 40's. Those porthole flappers were the first attempt at a workable grill mute
" The Original Sordina " . Back in the day this design was used by more than one Italian maker most notably Scandall.
Many Scandalli's with this grill mute can be found today as they continued making a model with this feature well into the
50's. The 2nd model in your pic' is a mid 40's late 50's.
Thanks, Jim D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back