• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Help me create accordion accompaniment for this song?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jozz

Player
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For our retro duo I am trying to convert a song to accordion.

It is this song:

It is certainly a piano piece with this vibe..but how would you prepare this for 1 accordion?

Help is much appreciated, ideas etc

jozz post_id=59415 time=1527071532 user_id=2600 said:
For our retro duo I am trying to convert a song to accordion.

It is this song:

It is certainly a piano piece with this vibe..but how would you prepare this for 1 accordion?

Help is much appreciated, ideas etc

Retro duo means the melody will be sung by the other musician?

No the lyrics will be sung by the other, and I will accompany her (or maybe that's what you meant as well)

So basically it is about creating an accordion piece that will match the piano piece in rythm and "vibe".

She insists on doing this song, but I have no idea yet

jozz post_id=59423 time=1527078810 user_id=2600 said:
So basically it is about creating an accordion piece that will match the piano piece in rythm and vibe.

She insists on doing this song, but I have no idea yet

As a very rough idea, I looked at chordify for the chords involved then tried basically playing the bass runs/hand of the piano on the Stradella bass buttons and substituting the current chord for notes that are part of the current chord. That leaves your right hand for the kind of arpeggiated stuff the original piano accompaniment does.

Seemed to work comparatively well, but doing that for the whole piece and then practising it would be a real wagonload of work. If you dont want to buy into that, starting with the chords and just doing some run-of-the-mill accordion pattern around it might be feasible.

yes we must keep it relatively simple, because Im going to have to play this from memory

Geronimo post_id=59433 time=1527100299 user_id=2623 said:
then tried basically playing the bass runs/hand of the piano on the Stradella bass buttons and substituting the current chord for notes that are part of the current chord. That leaves your right hand for the kind of arpeggiated stuff the original piano accompaniment does.

On what count would you play the bass note: only on 1? Or..?

so far Ive come up with following :

verses (the slower parts): both hands play long notes/chords
chorus : bass plays 4/4 pattern but with accents on the 2 and 4 (chord buttons), right hand plays some improv within the chords

jozz post_id=59434 time=1527103396 user_id=2600 said:
yes we must keep it relatively simple, because Im going to have to play this from memory

Geronimo post_id=59433 time=1527100299 user_id=2623 said:
then tried basically playing the bass runs/hand of the piano on the Stradella bass buttons and substituting the current chord for notes that are part of the current chord. That leaves your right hand for the kind of arpeggiated stuff the original piano accompaniment does.
On what count would you play the bass note: only on 1? Or..?
Well, on 1. But since I was trying to put the bass runs there, it usually was there on 1+ as well with the chord tending to fall on 1 and some semiregular pattern but quite a few bass notes in between. As I said: that was just a really rough sketch of something that would take some work to become the kind of stuff you buy as finished accordion arrangement and then curse a month over. So probably not going to cut it for your purpose. Just an idea of how to come up with a first sketch not awfully in the oompah ballpark.
so far Ive come up with following :

verses (the slower parts): both hands play long notes/chords
chorus : bass plays 4/4 pattern but with accents on the 2 and 4 (chord buttons), right hand plays some improv within the chords
Sounds like you got sort of a plan for getting this over with.

The important part of this song is the singers lyrics. If it were me, I would just play the chords and fill in to enhance the singer. If the singer wants perfection, then get a karaoke backing track. Unfortunately, they use that in most musicals today, even in Vegas.
I was doing a musical years ago. As we rehearsed a difficult part, the director said, “ even if it is wrong, if it sounds good, go with it.”.

hi

no it does not need to be perfection, it may be something different but usable for the song (and good sounding)

I was hoping on some creative pointers before I actually start on it :mrgreen:

we started on it today I will post some recordings soon to get a better idea of what needs to be worked on

Geronimo post_id=59437 time=1527108521 user_id=2623 said:
Just an idea of how to come up with a first sketch not awfully in the oompah ballpark.

Id go right to the oompah ballpark. That walking bass line is idiomatic for the string bass, works well with its particular attack/sustain profile etc. Not for accordion. As pointed out above, all thats really called for here is some notes in the background. Take into account that Im a notorious, life long under-achiever, but thats how I see it.

oompa pa it was...

we worked something out as a first try but I think this is about it {}

enjoy:
https://instaud.io/2pEt

PS. its in Dutch and its about a little balloon

Attachments

• 2018-05-26 12.53.55.jpg
    2018-05-26 12.53.55.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 648
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back