• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Hello from Surrey

Status
Not open for further replies.

SurreyAlan

Reaction score
Hi, new here so saying hello. Retired and feeling the brain going thought I'd take up the accordion, again. Had a Chinese PA years ago but it fell into disuse after illness. Trying it recently its asthmatic wheezing really was disheartening and having watched many videos especially Leon from Roxy's Music have just bought a Roland FR1XB BCA, hopefully it won't be too awful converting and should be easier for my short fingers. Not one for swift decisions I've been considering this for the past year and the BCA system seems more me. While purists might say the Roland isn't like the real thing, compared to my Chinese model it sounds and feel amazing and is more than good enough for me as my musical abilities have always been around the carol and easy sing along level. Back to Palmer Hughes and the Maugain book arrives tomorrow.

Welcome Alan! I think you made a good choice. That small CBA Roland seems like a cost effective way to get the notes you need in a smaller form factor, and you never have to worry about it going out of tune. Good luck!

The headphone socket was the deal maker, the only way to get an accordion past the wife. But the smaller form and lighter weight are a bonus and the CBA was down to getting a better range than the equivalent PA. Looking through the forum I find quite a few of a similar age have taken up the accordion and are ahead of me on the road, looking through my Palmer Hughes, Anzaghi and Maugain they all start out using just C to G and have identical fingerings so the slightly different tunes should help avoid boredom though currently I have one PH tune hoing round and round in my head that I can't shift.

I presume you are going with a c-griff pattern. Although the Roland will allow any pattern you like. Whereabouts in Surrey are you, I’m near Guildford.

Welcome.
Silent practice really helped me -- play whenever you like.
If you are tempted to get rid of your FR1X - don't!
This little 'box' does so much.
The commonest early 'glitch' is the bellows - look up bellows curve and set to Light if you find it hard going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back