• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Hello from Nashville, TN!

eric

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a programmer here in Middle Tennessee who used to play accordion and flute back in the 90s and then some accordion again up until mid 2000s before taking a break from music altogether (doesn't everyone stop playing music when they move to "Music City"?)

I blame Covid for rekindling my interest in music. I was probably getting a bit stir Crazy back last summer and decided to see if I could get a cheap "Irish Flute", which I did and have been really working hard to get better. I now have a real Flute that is made out of wood, as opposed to that cheapy plastic one from last fall and things are finally starting to come together. However, my next step is to pick accordion back up once I feel my Embouchure is strong enough not to require so much daily focus. So, starting out by seeing what sort of universe we are in these days in terms of online communities, and this seems to be a nice place for that...so, here I am.

Obviously I'm interested in playing Irish music, since that's my primary focus for the flute (though, I've started trying to play some Bach on the flute to force me to really learn to use the keys), but what sort of grabbed my interest last summer before I became convinced I needed to pick the flute back up was Balkan style accordion. So, once I start playing again, that's going to probably end up becoming a bit of an obsession for me until I have a fundamental understanding of it.

Right now, I have a Hohner I bought new back in early 2000s. I don't remember which model (is/was there a Corona model?), but it's got 120 bass keys and 5 stops. I was playing latin music back then (tejano and some stuff from Columbia, etc), so it was a good choice soundwise back then. That accordion has been sitting idle for nearly 15 years so it'll need some serious TLC, but I'm also thinking of purchasing one of those Roland midi accordions. I suspect I blew out a few reeds back when I was playing on top of electric guitars trying to be able to hear myself and then....well, this part of the country is practically a swamp humidity-wise...so, not the best life for a real accordion.

Anyway, looking forward to meeting you all!

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome Eric! You will find a friendly community here ready and willing to give you support and advice, both correct and unsolicited. The Hohner Corona that I know is a diatonic button accordion, but they may have made a piano version too. There are many here who play the Roland and can give you advice.

godgi

Reaction score
For easy balkan the mirima Klusco books ie Eastern European tunes is one the other i forget. it has a little kid on the front. Good as started beginner to intermediate level. The base lines are easiky played despite the different time signatures. They are easy play. She plays more contemporary stuff also but no sigh of a book of this material. I would be intetested in. I facebooked her and she has no plans for another book. B system cromatics appear to be gaining momentum over C system and they are two a penny second hand from Eastern Europe. Enjoy Godgi
Godgi

Robin66

Reaction score
Hi Eric, Nice you started playing music again! Covid has some nice side effects in this way. Hopefully your Hohner will get some TLC and will be playable again. You will find the community very welcoming, I know... I'm new here also;)

JeffJetton

Reaction score
Welcome, Eric!

From a fellow Nashvillian (and occasional programmer to boot!)

eric

Reaction score
Nice to meet you all! This does seem like a nice community, indeed.

Jeff, I've gotta know about the classes you teach. Is it a big group of students? Mostly young?

Valski

Reaction score

Jeff, I've gotta know about the classes you teach. Is it a big group of students? Mostly young?
Welcome Eric,

You're absolutely right about this being a friendly community. I'm also a relatively new member who's joined in the last few months. Everyone seems to be supportive and helpful and I think that you will be able to rely on the members for advice and tips.

You're correct about humidity affecting accordions adversely but if it was stored in a part of the house that was heated and cooled you just might have escaped major damage. This is what I encountered after storing my accordion in the closet for about a decade.

If the price of a Roland digital accordion doesn't scare you, I can't recommend one highly enough. You will in essence own several different types of tuning which you can use for the various styles of music that you enjoy. The other main benefit for me at least is that the left hand can play orchestral sounds that realistically emulate orchestral sounds which helps your timing by being crisper sounding. When I returned to playing my old acoustic model it was more difficult to produce a solid underlying rhythm and this became so much easier with the Roland.

Welcome

JeffJetton

Reaction score

I just do one-on-one private accordion lessons. I only keep a schedule of a few students--more of a side-hustle than anything else.

Over the years, the students have ranged from young kids, to millenials, all the way up to retirees.