• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Hello from Alaska!

Elizabeth

Reaction score
hi, new here from interior alaska!
Im looking to downsize from a 120 bass to a 96 bass, due to various physical difficulties. I already have a 72 bass which is lovely for what it does. But want the extra that a 96 bass can provide. love playing folk music from many different countries but would love to see if I could make headway with more classical and jazz while I still can. the nearest store where i can go in and play the instruments is a 4 hour plane ride away.
Anyone here had replacements and a broken wrist and an even more pressing issue: anyone had a RASL on their hand to repair torn tendon?
I am looking forward to reading and learning from you all on this site. Thank you!

Dingo40

Been here for ages!
Reaction score
Welcome Elizabeth 😀👍
You should have plenty to talk about with our member Olivgus 🙂
I too have injured my scaphoid (motorcycle accident), but being young at the time it healed well. My sympathies.

Last edited:

Siegmund

Reaction score
Wish I had met you just a few years sooner! I spent 17 years in sunny warm Fairbanks, much of it as a violinist in the symphony. I hadn't acquired an interest in the accordion yet when I moved south, or I might be trying to take that 120 bass off your hands. (Or competing with you for the few available 96es.)

Dingo40

Been here for ages!
Reaction score
Elizabeth,
Have you considered a small, lighter,two or three reed " ladies ' model " 41/120?
May be easier to find than a 96?🤫
Here's an illustration of the sort of thing:🙂

Last edited:

Dingo40

Been here for ages!
Reaction score
Can't get the clip to open 🤔
Here's another, with more features ( but also heavier and dearer)

Last edited:

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome Elizabeth!

Elizabeth

Reaction score
T
Welcome Elizabeth 😀👍
You should have plenty to talk about with our member Olivgus 🙂
I too have injured my scaphoid (motorcycle accident), but being young at the time it healed well. My sympathies.
Thank you! The doctor says I need to get a RASL, where they put a screw in to connect the scaphoid and lunate bones. I fractured my wrist last December. Definitely not young at the time..😬so i will lose some mobility. Who knows how that will affect future accordion and piano playing..

Elizabeth

Reaction score
Wish I had met you just a few years sooner! I spent 17 years in sunny warm Fairbanks, much of it as a violinist in the symphony. I hadn't acquired an interest in the accordion yet when I moved south, or I might be trying to take that 120 bass off your hands. (Or competing with you for the few available 96es.)
17 years in sunny fairbanks, wow! Now i am sure curious what years you were here. I did not know 96 bass were hard to find!

Elizabeth

Reaction score
Can't get the clip to open 🤔
Here's another, with more features ( but also heavier and dearer)
Thank you for these videos! I hadnt thought too much about ladies model, because i have really large hands. I didnt think they would fit on a ladies model. And i did not know that 96 bass were hard to come by.

Siegmund

Reaction score
17 years in sunny fairbanks, wow! Now i am sure curious what years you were here. I did not know 96 bass were hard to find!

1993 to 2011 (minus 14 months in the middle in Juneau - and the horizontal rain in Juneau made me colder than a Fairbanks winter ever did.)

Valski

Reaction score
Thank you for these videos! I hadnt thought too much about ladies model, because i have really large hands. I didnt think they would fit on a ladies model. And i did not know that 96 bass were hard to come by.
I also have very large hands, even for a man. I've owned and played a ladies or stroller accordion with a 17.5 inch keyboard. It worked fine but I wanted to upgrade and eventually sold it after realizing that it was just taking up room in my closet. You get a full 41 keys and 120 bass buttons in something smaller and lighter. I also think that you might want to choose a model with 3 treble reed blocks as this also keeps the weight down. Good luck with your wrist and I hope that you find something suitable to keep you playing.