• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Guessing game: what do you hear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jozz

Player
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I play the A note 3 times.

Each time something is different.

Describe what you hear and/or what is different.

Source:

Besides the obvious (A played with M in cassotto, then MM, then MMM, or something like that) what I hear is a plop sound before the single A reed starts. A common cause for this issue is that the valve on the inside for the A in cassotto isn't closed properly before the note starts. As a result you hear a "plop" sound of the valve closing before the note sounds.
If I'm wrong I'd like to know what actually causes this "plop" before the note starts.

Besides the obvious (A played with M in cassotto, then MM, then MMM, or something like that) what I hear is a plop sound before the single A reed starts. A common cause for this issue is that the valve on the inside for the A in cassotto isn't closed properly before the note starts. As a result you hear a "plop" sound of the valve closing before the note sounds.
If I'm wrong I'd like to know what actually causes this "plop" before the note starts.
Did not intend it to be part of the puzzle, but I guess I'll have to check out that plop.

Besides that you have described two things that are not actually there......

?️‍♂️

These guessing games rather remind me off my naive, youthful years at the outset of my public service career when I inadvertently tweaked the noses of my elders and betters by setting them up for public humiliation before their employees . Ahh.. at the time they hid their chagrin well. At the time yes but, ultimately, they never forgot or forgave: they got even, they certainly got even.
I guess you can't blame them!?
I remember one foolish prank I played ( during morning tea breaks) was to challenge the "heads of department " to a seemingly simple puzzle requiring them to assemble four or five geometric shapes into a perfect square. It was named "Kid Stuff", just to up the ante.
Kid Stuff it may have been called, but easy it was not, and everyone had a good natured laugh at their chiefs wrestling with the seemingly insoluble poser that ultimately had such a deceptively simple solution.
Ahhh... the folly of youth!?
Never, never set your elders up to fail guys!!?

I was going to say the first one sounded like a single M in cassotto, and the other two like MM with different degrees of tremolo—perhaps one with the cassotto M, the other without. I certainly didn’t detect any “plopping.” The switch changes were a bit loud and occurred so closely to the start of the tone, that was all I heard

Did not intend it to be part of the puzzle, but I guess I'll have to check out that plop.

Besides that you have described two things that are not actually there......

?️‍♂️
Ah... The first thing that is unlikely to be there then is the cassotto. I seem to recall that you have a non-cassotto accordion with very good hand-made reeds, and that may have fooled me. I remember that the Bugari 504/ARS/C also approximates cassotto sound, just by having really good reeds in there. The more mellow sound may also come from a sordino (jalousie) being closed.
The other thing that may not be in the accordion is a third M voice. Something happens between the second and third sample that at first I thought was the bellows closing, but on second thought it must be something else, like opening a curtain/jalousie like the one used in the old Atlantic series.
So... new conclusion: initially sordino closed, playing M reed, then MM, then opening jalousie/sordino and playing MM again... How am I doing?

First (1) M reed - Second (2) M reeds - Third (2) M reeds again but whith a variation ????

I was going to say the first one sounded like a single M in cassotto, and the other two like MM with different degrees of tremolo—perhaps one with the cassotto M, the other without. I certainly didn’t detect any “plopping.” The switch changes were a bit loud and occurred so closely to the start of the tone, that was all I heard
you are warm!

Ah... The first thing that is unlikely to be there then is the cassotto. I seem to recall that you have a non-cassotto accordion with very good hand-made reeds, and that may have fooled me. I remember that the Bugari 504/ARS/C also approximates cassotto sound, just by having really good reeds in there. The more mellow sound may also come from a sordino (jalousie) being closed.
The other thing that may not be in the accordion is a third M voice. Something happens between the second and third sample that at first I thought was the bellows closing, but on second thought it must be something else, like opening a curtain/jalousie like the one used in the old Atlantic series.
So... new conclusion: initially sordino closed, playing M reed, then MM, then opening jalousie/sordino and playing MM again... How am I doing?

You are certainly right about the single M reed, and I'm quite pleased that you mistook it for a cassotto sound.

so good start, but there is no sordino there...

First (1) M reed - Second (2) M reeds - Third (2) M reeds again but whith a variation ????

Good, but what is the variation......?

?️‍♂️

you are warm!

You are certainly right about the single M reed, and I'm quite pleased that you mistook it for a cassotto sound.

so good start, but there is no sordino there...

Good, but what is the variation......?

?️‍♂️
Maybe you removed the grille? That would create a slightly brighter sound... (I'm still trying to make sense of the "whoosh" noise we hear between fragments 2 and 3.)

Since you have that M reed which sounds so warm like a cassotto reed, I’m going to assume that it is tuned at 440 with the other two Ms (absolute speculation!) tuned at +/-10’.

So I’m guessing the first is M by itself, the second is M with the sharp M and the third is the two wide Ms (sharp and flat) only.

Maybe you removed the grille? That would create a slightly brighter sound... (I'm still trying to make sense of the "whoosh" noise we hear between fragments 2 and 3.)
the 'woosh' I will give you for free, that is simply me opening the bellows for the third A

I did not remove the grille
mind you, that this is recorded from the internal microphones, so these mechanical noises can be more prominent

btw, this is one recording, there is no computer editing

Since you have that M reed which sounds so warm like a cassotto reed, I’m going to assume that it is tuned at 440 with the other two Ms (absolute speculation!) tuned at +/-10’.

So I’m guessing the first is M by itself, the second is M with the sharp M and the third is the two wide Ms (sharp and flat) only.
You are somewhat the right direction...but still not quite what it actually is.

I *think*, not absolutely sure, that I'm at 442 as the base.

What you are hearing is indeed my Bugari 115 Artist:
  1. Single M register engaged, playing A.
  2. MM register engaged, playing A.
  3. ???

What you are hearing is indeed my Bugari 115 Artist:
  1. Single M register engaged, playing A.
  2. MM register engaged, playing A.
  3. ???
I hope the difference between 2 and 3 is not push versus pull because that would not be completely ok.

I hope the difference between 2 and 3 is not push versus pull because that would not be completely ok.
No, it is not. ?️‍♂️

Thanks for participating! I will now upload the shocking truth.....

OK, thanks for that. I don't know exactly what device that is, but I will make sure that I'm never getting one... ;) ;) ;)

Ah, a chorus pedal. Interesting. I never would have guessed. But, I never guess correctly in theses challenges.

Ah, a chorus pedal. Interesting. I never would have guessed. But, I never guess correctly in theses challenges.
it's a detune pedal without the oscillation of a chorus

it goes -50/+50

i'm going to use it as a boost pedal on a moderate setting

it's a detune pedal without the oscillation of a chorus

See, I'm even bad a guessing when the answer is posted. :)
I've been considering pedals lately, but I'm still in the research phase.

See, I'm even bad a guessing when the answer is posted. :)
I've been considering pedals lately, but I'm still in the research phase.
me too

i'm checking out stuff that is beyond a gimmick and actually useful for live accordion

so far i have only succesfully used a Micro POG for bass extension

it only works acceptable with pedals with enough polyphonic resolution

I was loosely considering a reverb pedal for rooms without natural reverb. But, that's as far as I got. It would be something that I'd have to ease into. Though, I agree, it would have to be something that solves a problem instead of a gimmick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back