• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Greetings from Utah!

DonN5LZ

Reaction score
I’m a 75 year old retired Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon and live in northern Utah, USA. Music has always been a major part of my life. My primary instrument is piano/keyboard which I play and arrange by ear (mostly standards and jazz), and over the years I have performed alone as well as with various groups. I managed to learn piano accordion basics during my high school years while tinkering with a borrowed instrument and have dabbled on and off since that time, and I suspect that I have probably acquired more bad habits than good ones during that process. I eventually became brave enough to perform on a stage and have done so on a few occasions. About a year ago I was fortunate to acquire an emacculate very well preserved Elkavox 83, and happened to find this forum while searching online for an owner’s manual (which I have not yet found! …. I wonder if one really exists?). I then became an occasional “lurker” on the forum and have enjoyed many of the discussions and videos. I am impressed with, and very much appreciate the collective expertise of this group, and now believe that it’s time for me to join in …. So here I am … I will be standing by.

Granitz

Reaction score
Greetings, DonN5LZ, and welcome to the forum. The wealth of knowledge on here is incredible, and the folks are very friendly and helpful. I'm sure someone here knows if manuals exist for your accordion. Again, welcome to the forum {}

Stephen Hawkins

Experienced Gentleman.
Reaction score
Hello Donn,

It is nice to find someone older (however slightly) than myself, and I welcome you to the forum.

Please do not worry too much about your bad habits, as I'm sure you are only one of many on this site. The main thing is to have "Fun", which is often overlooked in the race for perfection.

I am by no means perfect, but I do have an inordinate amount of fun.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

fjsys

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello from a Provo, Ut neighbor.
Welcome to the site.
I also own an elkavox 83 and can confirm that a manual exists, but isn’t very useful. One of these days when I find it again I plan on scanning it. But it will be a while, to many other things to do.

Have you been to the accordion store Accordions international in slc yet? Paul is a great guy to know and talk to, and runs a fun accordion convention in Las Vegas in October.

Ben

DonN5LZ

Reaction score
Tnx Ben, and nice to meet you. Yes I have visited Accordions International in SLC … and a friend has suggested that I go to the convention in Vegas. I may do so in the future, but will not be going this year.

I'm pleased to hear that you have an Elkavox 83 manual … and hope you won't mind sharing a scan if you do manage to find it someday. As it turns out, I rarely use the midi stuff anyhow ….. but I would like to see the documentation that does exist.

Cheers!

WaldoW

Reaction score
Don,
Welcome aboard. I'm just over the hill in the 4-Corners area. Forget about the "bad habits" thing, unless you plan to join a symphony or something similar. There's not enough time left to get it all right. If it sounds good to you, you got it right.

Press on....
Waldo

Von Colborn

Reaction score
I’m a 75 year old retired Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon and live in northern Utah, USA. Music has always been a major part of my life. My primary instrument is piano/keyboard which I play and arrange by ear (mostly standards and jazz), and over the years I have performed alone as well as with various groups. I managed to learn piano accordion basics during my high school years while tinkering with a borrowed instrument and have dabbled on and off since that time, and I suspect that I have probably acquired more bad habits than good ones during that process. I eventually became brave enough to perform on a stage and have done so on a few occasions. About a year ago I was fortunate to acquire an emacculate very well preserved Elkavox 83, and happened to find this forum while searching online for an owner’s manual (which I have not yet found! …. I wonder if one really exists?). I then became an occasional “lurker” on the forum and have enjoyed many of the discussions and videos. I am impressed with, and very much appreciate the collective expertise of this group, and now believe that it’s time for me to join in …. So here I am … I will be standing by.
Hello Northern Neighbor,
I, too, am older, and a newbie to the diatonic accordians. I've had a piano accordian since I was a child but have not played it much since 7th grade.
I live in Sandy, UT. I had not heard of the accordian store in Salt Lake City. I guess that I will be venturing up there this week.

96Bass

Reaction score
I have an Iorio Accorgan that I purchased in 1983. I believe it may the same as an Elkavox, just badged differently. Can you attach a photo of your accordion? My Accorgan came with a VHS instructional video. Mine is a LMMM and the acoustic accordion is very nice and easy to play.

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I also have the Elka 83:

1634840132336.png

1634840059902.png

This is the model I have. A few months ago I found that I've got all the manuals and service manuals for it too, the only thing I am missing is the old VHS video of that thing in action, not that I need that VHS tape, but it is a nice piece of my history!

96Bass

Reaction score
Thanks JerryPH, that is exactly the same as my Iorio Accorgan. I bought mine new at ABC Music in Burbank, CA. I was playing mostly traditional Irish music so I had the musette tuning widened a bit. The acoustic accordion is a very nice, professional grade instrument. The Organ, Strings, and Piano are also top notch and sound beautiful. The synth section also sounds pretty good considering the era it was manufactured. I used mostly piano on bass and chord buttons to accompany the jigs and reels. Last time I hooked it up to the generator it was all still working.
If I can find an easy way, I may try and put the vhs tape onto YouTube.
It may have been more of a demonstration rather than instructional video now that you mention it.

Last edited: