• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Greetings from the Pacific Northwest

Reaction score
Hello folks, I live out on the Olympic Peninsula in a small seaport town, a few hours north and west of Seattle, WA.

I’ve enjoyed browsing this forum for the past few months educating myself about piano and chromatic button accordions.

For 16 years I was in the violin repair and restoration trade. Off and on during the past 29 years I’ve attempted to play a number of free reed instruments: concertinas, diatonic button boxes, and for a couple of years a nice Bugari 96 bass piano accordion.

Now that I’m retired I would like to more seriously work toward becoming a reasonable player of tunes for my own enjoyment. I’m currently waiting for a used Weltmeister Juwel 72 bass which should be sent out next week. No illusions about the quality, but that’s all that current funds allow.

My favorite music on free reed instruments is generally French, Belgian, Morris and Playford dance and other folk tunes, as well as some dark moody stuff from Eastern Europe and Scandinavia.

Progress in learning the instruments has been slow over the years, but I’m excited to try a PA again as I made the most progress when I had the Bugari, and took in-person lessons for a year or so.

These days with online resources, including this forum, I’m looking forward to amusing myself with the new box and making the local dogs howl.

Thanks to all on the forum that offer their considerable knowledge of all things squeezy...

Cheers,
David

Pipemajor

Reaction score
Welcome David, with your background your fingers should soon be flying over the keys and you will soon find this to be an addictive hobby.
You've come to the best place for all things squeezy and you will find that we are a welcoming bunch, happy to share our knowledge and experiences. :) (y)

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome David!

JeffJetton

Reaction score
I’m currently waiting for a used Weltmeister Juwel 72 bass which should be sent out next week. No illusions about the quality, but that’s all that current funds allow.
I've got a couple of Welties myself, and you know what? I think they're pretty good! Especially for the price. A notch above Hohner's "Bravo" line, IMHO.

The old DDR-era ones were apparently made a bit on-the-cheap. But Weltmeister seemed to get their act together after Reunification, and I believe all the "named after precious stones" accordions like the Juwel, Achat, Saphir, Rubin, etc., were/are made during that era.

Anway, welcome! Beautiful part of the country you're in, that's for sure.