• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Greetings from Oz

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferenc

Reaction score
Hi All,

I’m returning after a 45 year sabbatical. I was taught by Primo Pinn from 1967 to 1975 and gave accordion away at fifteen years old because it was THE most uncool instrument ever (for a 15yo in 1975…) Twenty years ago mum asked if I would ever play again (“no”), so she sold my beautiful Italian 120 bass LMMH. Not long after I bought some books and taught myself enough guitar to play rhythm.

Then about 5 years ago I heard some Cajun and thought “Now THAT makes it worth playing accordion again”, and started listening to music to see if I could adapt accordion, and discovered a few popular songs gave me goose bumps (or at least parts of them) when I though of playing them on accordion. Particularly the piano break from Lennard Skynnard’s Sweet Home Alabama, and the whole of Peter Cincotti’s version of Sway (and just about any French café music (musettes?))

Given that in 8 years of lessons (was studying for Grade 7 when I quit) I’d never previously gone below B-flat or above E on the bass, I bought a brand new Peredie 72/34 LMM, which had a gorgeous (and huge) sound, played beautifully and only weighed 8kg. Then my daughter with special needs started school so the accordion sat in it’s box until recently.

Now things have relatively settled, I bought the sheet music for those songs only to finally learn why those keys are duplicated on the 120 bass… So I sold my Peredie yesterday for the money I paid for it five years ago ($600) and today bought a very old (haven’t found a picture online yet) Hohner Atlantic III (LMM). It sounds great (other than one note on each side not quite full - sticky reeds?), doesn’t leak too bad, and other than a few keys sitting a bit high, sticky registers (one pair stuck) which doesn’t bother me as I only use Master on both sides, and one bass note which waits a moment to close, it’s in tune and playable. Not bad for $450 - anything I’ve found so far under $600 has been too leaky, out of tune, or played without keys pressed, and all needed a full service to be playable, so I’m happy with my purchase ?

Then tonight I made the mistake of taking the cover off ‘just for a look’…In case I decide to fix the old girl up. I’m a tinker by nature and can fix just about anything and after looking at a number of YouTube videos I know I have the skills and tools, and know what to expect inside the box. Except this one has a ‘blind’ on some pulleys and gears you can close with a slide on the back of the keyboard to mute the treble. So it’s not like the other ones… and I can see no way of removing it. And while I was there I discovered a few loose joints between some keys and their arms/levers which I’d like to fix before they get worse. And while I have it apart, I might as well replace the leather pad on the lazy bass note, and fix all the sticky registers…

But I can’t see how to remove the mute blind. Personally I have no desire for it, however if this is a really attractive feature of this accordion which makes it special and desirable, then of course I want to keep it, restore her properly, and sell her on to someone who wants all these bells and whistle, then buy the (minimum) accordion I want (120 Bass, no bass registers, 37 treble, LMM) So does anyone know how to dismantle my new baby? ?

Cheers,

Hiya and welcome, interesting story.

One of the resident Atlantic experts will be along soon, but that 'mute' is a feature worth keeping - it's not on the later Atlantics and is sought after.
The reference for fixing accordions is http://accordionrevival.com/Home.php it's a good read.

Welcome to the conversation. Nice to hear that the 45-year gap is behind you. Like your plan to start playing again, and wish the best.

Welcome back :)

Thus in accordion heaven there will be more joy over one guitar sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous ones who do not need repentance.

Grtz from an ex guitar sinner, and accordion convert.

PS Don't sell your guitar, you never know when you'll need it...

Welcome Ferenc!

Thanks for all your warm welcomes :)
Thanks Glug - I will - looks huge!
Hahaha! Stephen :) I never thought to get rid of my guitar, but now I'm motivated I can't think why I'd keep it ;)
Where abouts in Qld lunar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back