• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Greetings from Guernsey, Channel Islands

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guernseyman

Hi everyone. Been playing the accordion since the 1980's but only occasionally. Now playing it every day- lovely old Sonola Festival 5 voice R465 which I used to play with folk dance band and haven't used in earnest for 25 years. Just ordered a lovely cooperativa with Gary Blair tuning. Good to find you all. Just working on flambé montalbanaise! Looking forward to chatting.

Hi Guernseyman,

Welcome. What may I ask is Gary Blair tuning?

Ah yes, should have explained. Gary Blair, a great pro Ceilidh accordionist, plays a Cooperativa and has it tuned to his own musette spec, which is a wonderful sound. I've opted for that tuning on my new accordion. Have to be patient as it takes a while for them to make it (2 to 6 months!) but can't wait for it to arrive.

Welcome to the forum Guernseyman. Look forward to you adding your thoughts etc to the Britsh Folk Music threads

george

Hello - send a <S>bit</S> lot of that Channel Island weather our way in Cheshire! Welcome on board.

Guernseyman said:
Have to be patient as it takes a while for them to make it (2 to 6 months!) but cant wait for it to arrive.
My accordion was promised in 3 months. Took 9 in the end. :(

Which one of your three was that Glenn?

Guernseyman said:
Ballone Burini I believe - but Glennll confirm.
All the modern Coops Ive heard sounded nice.
Im intrigued, how do you order Gary tuning - Do you go through him?

Ed

No. I was in the Sunningdale accordion shop and played a cooperativa which I really liked. It is a 120 bass but on a compact body but the sound was just what I was after. Chris there told me it was Gary Blair tuning. Gary works closely with the factory at Vercalli and that particular accordion sound was what I had always wanted, so I asked for exactly the same spec but on a different colour with a few tweaks on the design. Really looking forward to it coming.

Sounds good I've heard Gary Blair & Coop (& son & Coop) but not live. Compact? Less keys or smaller keys?

Same keys but smaller body. Very clever and cooperative are getting interest from other makers. Check out the compact models on their website ( hope you can read Italian). When it arrives (?) ill post a picture but don't hold your breath!

Guernseyman said:
Indeed it was the Burini.
However, now Ive got the Hohner Vox4 CBA Im on my 4th accordion.
Id better stop here or Ill have a matrimonial crisis on my hands.

Hi soul saver. It's a 41 key 120 bass but with a compact body and its way too late for the matrimonial crisis. This cooperativa took a lot of persuading I can tell you!

Guernseyman said:
Hi soul saver. Its a 41 key 120 bass but with a compact body and its way too late for the matrimonial crisis. This cooperativa took a lot of persuading I can tell you!
It was Glenn avoiding the crisis - my method was avoiding the matrimony... although I didnt get away scott free as I do have another half keeping me in check, if my collection of 8 spills out of the study!
And Im not surprised it took some persuading...£:shock:s
Alan Young does a good demo - and this one sounds class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back