• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Great Video: New York's Last Accordion Repairman

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveH

Reaction score
Hello, Fellow Accordionistas --

I thought you might enjoy this, published March 26, 2016.

Here in Philadelphia we have several good repairman at Liberty Bellows: thats reassuring.

Happy Easter, all.

-- SteveH.

Lovely video. True accordion repairers are few and far between. I can think of one (possibly two) really good repairers in the UK, with repair waiting times of several years to match. Diatonics seem to be a different matter altogether with several good repairers/builders around.

Just recently I talked with a well known (in the upper NY state area) accordion rebuilder/repairer. He told me he was phasing out his business this year , citing profitability issues and claiming few players are willing to spend the money necessary to restore their instruments to original condition .I would also have to figure too few players these days too to support a full time repair business.
From a player`s point of view it has to be a tough decision to pay $1200 for a complete re-tune alone ,not to mention the cost of a re-wax and re-valve job that should go along with the re-tuning. What sense does it make to do one and not the other at that time?
I have to believe at that point a new accordion is in order.

Depends on what that accordion is, it's value and the budget of the client. If my accordion needed all those things, $1200 would be very cheap, but if your instrument's value is $350, paying $1200 is not an option.

Great video,there is an accordion repair store in Toronto and another one not far from the city. They are very busy.
I bought two accordions from Liberty Bellows in Philliy.I would love to visit the store but I can't imagine any other reason to travel to Philadelphia.

The ones that I know of are accordionscanada.com in Toronto (this is likely the one you were referring to?) and andersonsaccordions in Burlington. If you google accordion repair for Ontario it comes up with as many as half a dozen places.

Going to places like Liberty Bellows I would believe is more like a total experience. That's where you take a couple days while your accordion is repaired and peruse the store trying out anything that they have there and talking to the sales people and possibly even talking to a few locals and taking in the local scene... that could turn into a fun weekend!

A lot of people use Accordionscanada to try out their accordions, they have videos of customers playing online, although it isn't my favourite store. What I love about Liberty Bellows is that you can actually see a video of someone playing the instrument you might want
to buy online. And they're such an amazing multi-faceted store with a huge selection of sheet music and accordion ensembles and accordion lessons..it really looks like accordion paradise and the owner seems to be quite an extraordinary person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back