• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Good Gigs, Bad Gigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lightninboy

Dale Mathis has got a lot of Roland polka videos. Are there online lists of settings for Rolands?

Keymn

Reaction score
lightninboy post_id=56456 time=1521820095 user_id=913 said:
Dale Mathis has got a lot of Roland polka videos. Are there online lists of settings for Rolands?

The Roland Polka videos seem to have the Tuba bass. I do not see it necessary, unless you are going through a good sound system. Many of these polka sounds seem to come from that Slovanian/Cleveland sound back in the 50’s/60’s. Other parts of the world may choose different sound sets. This is only my opinion.

L

lightninboy

It's hard to find detailed lists of sounds for digital accordions. I also see their prices starting at $1,500 for used.

Keymn

Reaction score
lightninboy post_id=56464 time=1521858355 user_id=913 said:
Its hard to find detailed lists of sounds for digital accordions. I also see their prices starting at $1,500 for used.
The factory manuals usually list the defaults sounds.
Those YouTube video demo soundsets are not done overnight, I am sure.
I would rather invest my time in order to be genuine in sound and style. Bad or good, is only an opinion of others.
:tdown: :tup:

L

lightninboy

A Roland is obviously good for your business, but it takes a business to pay for one.

But, hey, buying a chemnitzer can cost $2,000 easy and its only in one key. Its possibly smarter to buy a used Roland.

Im pretty sure some people get a chemnitzer sound out of a digital that you wouldnt know the difference if you didnt look.

https://funtimepolkaparty.com/television

But I question that Dale Mathis gets it exactly in his videos.

Keymn

Reaction score
lightninboy post_id=56475 time=1521906595 user_id=913 said:
A Roland is obviously good for your business, but it takes a business to pay for one.

But, hey, buying a chemnitzer can cost $2,000 easy and its only in one key. Its possibly smarter to buy a used Roland.

Im pretty sure some people get a chemnitzer sound out of a digital that you wouldnt know the difference if you didnt look.

https://funtimepolkaparty.com/television

But I question that Dale Mathis gets it exactly in his videos.
Will a certain sounding accordion make or break a gig? I started with a 2 register small accordion from a Pawn Shop. Used it for a year and started getting me gigs. Presentation is the key factor in getting gigs. The fr7 then the fr4x to me was purchased because of low mechanical maintenance and built-in external connection capabilities. It was paid for from the Pawn Shop Accordion Gigs.

L

lightninboy

Hmm. Is it possible to fake a concertina on an accoustic accordion?

If there is an accordion custom built for polka performers this is it, the Polka King by Polytone. The instrument features 4/5 sets of hand-made reeds. The configuration is LMMM with a clever tuning that allows for a dry (Cleveland) sound and wet musette (Slovenian) sound on the same instrument.

5 treble switches:
Rich musette sound: Polka Master (LMMM), Musette (MMM)
Dry/concert sound: Full Accordion (LM1M2), Bassoon (L), and Clarinet (M1)
The Full Accordion delivers the punch requested for Cleveland polka style.

http://www.accordiongallery.com/polytone-polka-king

Keymn

Reaction score
lightninboy post_id=56531 time=1522086253 user_id=913 said:
Hmm. Is it possible to fake a concertina on an accoustic accordion?

If there is an accordion custom built for polka performers this is it, the Polka King by Polytone. The instrument features 4/5 sets of hand-made reeds. The configuration is LMMM with a clever tuning that allows for a dry (Cleveland) sound and wet musette (Slovenian) sound on the same instrument.

5 treble switches:
Rich musette sound: Polka Master (LMMM), Musette (MMM)
Dry/concert sound: Full Accordion (LM1M2), Bassoon (L), and Clarinet (M1)
The Full Accordion delivers the punch requested for Cleveland polka style.

http://www.accordiongallery.com/polytone-polka-king

There is nothing like the the concertina. Greats like Don Gralak - Rocked the concertina! We grew up in the 60s playing Polkas, country and rock with our boxes in Milwaukee. Teenagers in the Smokey bar scene. {} :ch

L

lightninboy

Keymn post_id=56593 time=1522307515 user_id=2502 said:
There is nothing like the the concertina. Greats like Don Gralak - Rocked the concertina! We grew up in the 60s playing Polkas, country and rock with our boxes in Milwaukee. Teenagers in the Smokey bar scene. {} :ch
So, you were in the hotspot of polka back in its glory days.

Is the Bandoneon switch any use for polka?

Keymn

Reaction score
lightninboy post_id=56611 time=1522343163 user_id=913 said:
Keymn post_id=56593 time=1522307515 user_id=2502 said:
So, you were in the hotspot of polka back in its glory days.

Is the Bandoneon switch any use for polka?
Not familiar with Bandoneon, but I think not to use on Polkas. Franky Yankovich is a sound I have not yet heard programmed on V. It has brightness and life to it. This is what I have programmed for my Polka sound.

JEBrown

Reaction score
Keymn post_id=56250 time=1521382819 user_id=2502 said:
Any good Irish Gigs? Mine was laid back, a couple senior homes.

Bit late to this but I played a nice St. Patricks Day gig - it was a private dinner: the host had booked the band I Play in and an Irish dance school (mostly kids). We played a load of Irish songs while the guests arrived and had cocktails. Then the school danced to recorded music, and afterwards we played Siamsa (is that Riverdance or Lord of the Dance?) and they danced to us. All went down well- lots of parents of the kids there.... And then we played some normal ceilidh dances but with as many irish tunes as we could find. I never realised there were so many Irish / pretend Irish in Brussels!

L

lightninboy

Nathan Neuman demonstrates:

C chemnitzer

Bb chemnitzer

bandoneon

Keymn

Reaction score
lightninboy post_id=56735 time=1522624273 user_id=913 said:
Nathan Neuman demonstrates:

C chemnitzer

Bb chemnitzer

bandoneon
Nice, smooth playing. Good bellow action. Bandoneon uniquely different sound. All would sound good on Polkas and waltzes too. I do not think <EMOJI seq=1f914>?</EMOJI>, many concertina players in the Southwest USA? Would be neat to find if one exists!

Keymn

Reaction score
I just latched on a German Restaurant gig. The strange thing it was a Country Western Bar. I proceeded to play my accordion German music mixing in some of those country Nashville classics. Many were saying they were not knowing what to expect, some old guy playing oompa? (They got the old man part right<EMOJI seq="1f602">?</EMOJI>).
Got booked 2 nights for the rest of the year. They just do not have enough accordion players around this area.
I think <EMOJI seq="1f914">?</EMOJI> we are a rare breed.

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Keymn post_id=61597 time=1533193773 user_id=2502 said:
I just latched on a German Restaurant gig. The strange thing it was a Country Western Bar. I proceeded to play my accordion German music mixing in some of those country Nashville classics. Many were saying they were not knowing what to expect, some old guy playing oompa? (They got the old man part right<EMOJI seq=1f602>?</EMOJI>).
Got booked 2 nights for the rest of the year. They just do not have enough accordion players around this area.
I think <EMOJI seq=1f914>?</EMOJI> we are a rare breed.

Seriously... to have a NEED for accordion players in the first place is an amazing thing... now to have more places that actually need/want accordion players than there are accordionists available? Wow, sounds like my kind of town! :)

Keymn

Reaction score
JerryPH post_id=61677 time=1533413843 user_id=1475 said:
Keymn post_id=61597 time=1533193773 user_id=2502 said:
I just latched on a German Restaurant gig. The strange thing it was a Country Western Bar. I proceeded to play my accordion German music mixing in some of those country Nashville classics. Many were saying they were not knowing what to expect, some old guy playing oompa? (They got the old man part right<EMOJI seq=1f602>?</EMOJI>).
I think <EMOJI seq=1f914>?</EMOJI> we are a rare breed.

Seriously... to have a NEED for accordion players in the first place is an amazing thing... now to have more places that actually need/want accordion players than there are accordionists available? Wow, sounds like my kind of town! :)
They just fired the country western band who was there for almost 3 years on Friday/Saturday. Wants German accordion music, all time. But where are the accordion players in Phoenix for hire? Presently, performing 4 nights at this place. Not a high pressure gig. Just play German, oompa, polka, waltzes, pop songs and in-between stroll out in audience. Mostly dining people, large groups. Life is good when you can take your hobby to the next level.

Corsaire

Reaction score
Keyman said:
Presently, performing 4 nights at this place. Not a high pressure gig. Just play German, oompa, polka, waltzes, pop songs and in-between stroll out in audience. Mostly dining people, large groups. Life is good when you can take your hobby to the next level.
Absolutely right, Keyman - its all about enjoying what we do.

The former leader and founder of our group was totally against any sort of involvement with the audience and would even stop the singers if a spectator dared to join in or clap to the music. Yet our music lends itself to audience participation, particularly when we do our gigs in the streets of the old town of Saint Malo. After all, who are we doing it for ?
We now encourage people to get up and dance and I have recently followed the example of an accordion player in another group and stroll about where possible in our street gigs (one of the reasons for choosing a lighter 72 bass PA!). What a difference this has made both to our enjoyment of performing and from their reaction, to the people who come and listen to us.

jozz

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Corsaire post_id=62813 time=1536906268 user_id=2107 said:
and would even stop the singers if a spectator dared to join in or clap to the music.

yes! always those damn audiences

Status
Not open for further replies.