• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Golden Eagle Hornpipe. Yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobM

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve just stumbled across the Golden Eagle Hornpipe. It’s a bit advanced for me yet. Is anyone playing it?

Its a cracking tune composed by James Hill (1811-1853). He was a composer and publican in Newcastle and I think the northumbrian pipers society have published a book of his tunes.

Several you tube vids, mostly on fiddle but there is a nice one on anglo concertina. Can't find a vid of it on piano box.

notation ( in G) available on t'internet go to abc notation ( it provides the dots as well!)

Like most hornpipes and particularly the Newcastle veriety the essence lies in playing a crisp light treble and bass , if any, should be carefully used so as not to detract from the tune itself.

NOTE! there are absolutely no ''correct'' bass for this tune as it was wrote for the fiddle!

george

??? would this fit better British folk music sub forum ,maybe as 'hornpipes'??

g

I think it was more a general question on whether or not anyone was playing it.....does it deserve to be dragged down to that den of iniquity that we call The Pub......but I am prepared to go with the flow.....................................

jarvo said:
I think it was more a general question on whether or not anyone was playing it.....does it deserve to be dragged down to that den of iniquity that we call The Pub......but I am prepared to go with the flow.....................................

A few people have mentioned it to me, and it looks like it could make a nice RH mobility piece for the future, It gets played in quite a variety of ways, so a general question really..

BobM.

george garside said:
Its a cracking tune composed by James Hill (1811-1853). He was a composer and publican in Newcastle and I think the northumbrian pipers society have published a book of his tunes.

Several you tube vids, mostly on fiddle but there is a nice one on anglo concertina. Cant find a vid of it on piano box.

notation ( in G) available on tinternet go to abc notation ( it provides the dots as well!)

Like most hornpipes and particularly the Newcastle veriety the essence lies in playing a crisp light treble and bass , if any, should be carefully used so as not to detract from the tune itself.

NOTE! there are absolutely no correct bass for this tune as it was wrote for the fiddle!

george

Here’s 2 quite different versions..

The version played on the concertina is probably nearer to what the composer intended and certainly has all the feel of a Northumbrian hornpipe. The second version is far too fast for a hornpipe and lacks characteristic beat.

george

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back