• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Getting started with Roland Set Editor

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have questions!

So....

I want to edit a set that is factory installed on my FR1x. For example set '3-1'. How would I go about this please?

I used to be able to do it when I owned one of these a few years ago, but I've forgotten. If someone can get me started I should be ok. Thankyou !

Yeah, it’s pretty easy to figure out in a few minutes. The fun or longest part is finding what each setting is and what are some good sounding combinations are, one can spend many a year doing that.

Ok, don't worry I have figured it out. If anyone needs to know this - just shout.
I saw your post and should be grateful for help with my FR1XB.
I opened the set editor and, as an example, changed 1a to musette.
This produced the attached screen shot.
Can the 3b be changed to 1a or are these sets fixed and I have misunderstood your post?

Attachments

• 3a.png
    3a.png
    67.8 KB · Views: 13
BEWARE: I didn't try the set editor myself - so I'm not an expert!

My understanding is that ...

• after you "created" your custom set using the set editor you need to "create set file" (see the button for this).
  • Than you copy the "set file" to some usb stick (storage device) which is working (readable) with your FR1x.
  • Than attach the usb stick to your FR1x and import the file to the user set.
    This will than load the 8 registers (1a, 1b, 2a, 2b,...) into the user set of your FR1x.
But - if I understand your intention right - you could achive the same more easyly by editing any user set directly on your FR1x.

As far as I understand the 15 factory sets AKA factory register locations are fixed in the FR1x. You can only customize the 8 registers of the 1 user set.

BEWARE: I didn't try the set editor myself - so I'm not an expert!

My understanding is that ...

• after you "created" your custom set using the set editor you need to "create set file" (see the button for this).
  • Than you copy the "set file" to some usb stick (storage device) which is working (readable) with your FR1x.
  • Than attach the usb stick to your FR1x and import the file to the user set.
    This will than load the 8 registers (1a, 1b, 2a, 2b,...) into the user set of your FR1x.
But - if I understand your intention right - you could achive the same more easyly by editing any user set directly on your FR1x.

As far as I understand the 15 factory sets AKA factory register locations are fixed in the FR1x. You can only customize the 8 registers of the 1 user set.
Thanks Airy.
I think you must be right wrt the fixed factory sets - with only the user sets being changeable.
Impasse!
Direct set editing on the FR1X is not possible (unlike the 4X etc)

Yeah, that fact was not something I learned until just fairly recently too, since I am an 8X user… pretty odd.

Reactions: TW
I think you must be right wrt the fixed factory sets - with only the user sets being changeable.

I see / use the user set as a "my favorite registers" library. I picked my favorite register-sounds from the different factory sets (Concerto, Classic, Bajan, Jazz, Folk, etc) and put each one into one of the 8 memory slots of the user set. Some of them I didn't even edit at all - just copied as they where. Some I did change slightly or put in a different bass or additional drum sound.

So I have direct access to "my favorites" without switching first the the set numbers and then the register numbers. The only problem is the restricion to "only" 8 memory slots for these favorites. Until now it was sufficient for me to play my favorite songs in a row.

But in case I will need more I will simply generate another user set with a different mixture of favorites and save both sets to the USB stick. It will take only a few seconds to reload a prepared user set from USB srick to the FR1x. This way you can actually put together a library with virtually unlimited sounds sets.

Direct set editing on the FR1X is not possible (unlike the 4X etc)

@TW I'm not sure what you mean with that. You CAN edit any sound / register directly on the FR1x, but you CANNOT save it to the SAME register number. You'll always have to save it to one of the 8 user slots.

I see / use the user set as a "my favorite registers" library. I picked my favorite register-sounds from the different factory sets (Concerto, Classic, Bajan, Jazz, Folk, etc) and put each one into one of the 8 memory slots of the user set. Some of them I didn't even edit at all - just copied as they where. Some I did change slightly or put in a different bass or additional drum sound.

So I have direct access to "my favorites" without switching first the the set numbers and then the register numbers. The only problem is the restricion to "only" 8 memory slots for these favorites. Until now it was sufficient for me to play my favorite songs in a row.

But in case I will need more I will simply generate another user set with a different mixture of favorites and save both sets to the USB stick. It will take only a few seconds to reload a prepared user set from USB srick to the FR1x. This way you can actually put together a library with virtually unlimited sounds sets.

@TW I'm not sure what you mean with that. You CAN edit any sound / register directly on the FR1x, but you CANNOT save it to the SAME register number. You'll always have to save it to one of the 8 user slots.
I agree. I interpreted the OP as implying saving the edited voice to a fixed set (not a user set). Obviously an incorrect interpretation on my part.

Hi,
I see only the Concerto set in the editor, and have found no instructions how to copy or create the other sets.
I'm sure I am missing something.
Thanks,
Simon

Hi,

There are 4 User set slots on the FR-1x. Each one contains the settings for all registers, including accordion (12) , Organ(8), Orchestra(8) , Bass(7) , Bass orchestra etc. I have found no easy way to "see" what the factory settings are. I might be missing something.

So far, out of the box, most bass registers of the FR1-x are totally useless.

I do have the advantage of owning a FR-7x, which has more advanced programing capabilities. I bought it with some great sounding settings. In fact, even after buying the Richard Noel sets, I still use one of the sets that was programmed by the seller, most of the time.

Today I recorded the bass settings of one of the built in sets and I'm planning to set up the FR-1x with the same settings. I am aware that the speakers are different, but I still want to try this idea.

If I succeed, I will try to upload a recording of various sounds, and show how you can set up the FR1-x to mimic these sounds.
I will also upload an Alpine-Orch set, as the one that Roland supplies for the Orch expansion pack has a terrible accordion setting, so I figured you can save the Alpine and Orch sounds on the same set without wasting any real-estate ( memory).

Simon

Hi again.
It worked pretty good, but wasn't perfect.
On the FR-7 we have a volume knob to balance the Bass vs Right hand volume, on the FR-1 this is done via parameter change.
I set the volume on the bass too loud, as I like a strong base, and can always adjust it via knob . I'll go back and change them to lower the volume on the reeds.
I will also post a way to see all the settings of a set at one time. I think this is of value to FR-7 ( and probably FR-3) owners as well so I think it deserves a separate post.
Simon

Here is a simple recording of a specific register that I would like to "copy" from the FR-7x to the FR-1x.

Sorry for the volume etc.

@Simon Max Tremendous work! Thank you so much for explaining all the pitfalls.

If a sound is based on an expansion (eg. Alpine), does the expansion has to be installed in the same expansion slot? Or does it not matter because the expansions are referred by unique numbers (eg Alpine is no.1)?

@Simon Max Tremendous work! Thank you so much for explaining all the pitfalls.

If a sound is based on an expansion (eg. Alpine), does the expansion has to be installed in the same expansion slot? Or does it not matter because the expansions are referred by unique numbers (eg Alpine is no.1)?
Thanks Airy,
As for your question, I believe that it doesn't matter on which slot the expansion set is installed.
On the FR-7x, I am sure of that, as the order of installation was not mentioned by Richard Noel's instructions. On the FR-1x, I have not seen it mentioned anywhere, so I assume it doesn't matter.
Simon

Hi,
I tried the set (138) that I saved in the Video, and it works like a charm.

I'm sure that playing with speakers, I would notice a difference in sound, but via headphones it sounds exactly the same.
I changed the stereo setting to almost nothing, so that I can hear what it would sound like from a mono amp setup.
I will try it out next week using my Cube amp.

The next step is to find a Bass sound that I like, so that even if I don't choose the Orch Bass, I will have a bass register that is close to the sound of the Bowed orch. The 2A bass of the Alpine set comes close, but has an exaggerated growl.

My FR-7x came with some France sets that were altered by the owner and have a full deep bass, so I'll copy that one too and see which one I like more.

It is important to keep in mind that the speakers of the FR-1 are very different that the FR-7, and if you plan to use an amplifier, it is important to test all the sets , sounds and user programs on the amp system to verify that you get the expected results.

Simon

Last edited:
Thanks Airy,
As for your question, I believe that it doesn't matter on which slot the expansion set is installed.
On the FR-7x, I am sure of that, as the order of installation was not mentioned by Richard Noel's instructions. On the FR-1x, I have not seen it mentioned anywhere, so I assume it doesn't matter.
Simon
Confirmed that this is true for the 8X as well. I uninstalled my expansions, reinstalled in different slots and all the previously installed sets worked perfectly both times.

Last edited:
Back