• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

General rules when to play legato and when staccato

Status
Not open for further replies.
an exercise that can help get the feel of when to play staccato and when to play legato is to take a tune that can be played either way but at different tempos nd rhythm.eg LOrd lovatts Lament which originated as a slow (funeral) march but is often played as a much brisker march eg for the dance the gay gordons.

another variation is to take a 4/4 and play it both as a 4/4( ?march) and as a 3/4 waltz , rearranged on the hoof on the hoof and experiment with staccato and legato. Loch Lomond is an example that works well

Another useful technique if used sparingly is to play both legato aand staccato at the same time and this can work well on eg a slow march or an air. Simply hold the necesary chords (legato) whilst at the same time playing an underlying but slow staccato beat using bass or counterbass or alternating between the two. Lord Lovatts Lament, Da Slocket Light are 2 useful examples for trying it.

all good fun!

george

Soulsaver said:
Where not indicated by the sheets (or no sheets) - determine by the mood of the piece ie requiems, ballads, love songs & lullabies - are obviously usually best played legato.
Polkas, marches etc predominantly staccato. There are pieces that wouldnt fall into a clearly defined category... and then do what YOU think is best.
Add to that - clues in the title of the piece like Ice Skaters is likely best played smoooothly... and The Woodpecker...probably isnt.[/quote]
I have a piece called the skating woodpecker. Now I am confused.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glenn said:
Its the visual of this that got me... where in the world would you find skates small enough? :lol:

Don't be ridiculous Donn :)

Glenn said:
Its the visual of this that got me... where in the world would you find skates small enough? :lol:[/quote]

Or a woodpecker large enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back