• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

fun songs

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

accordian

what are some
of the best
songs you
know mine

not in order

roll out the barrel

tarantella

tetris

lambada

la vie en rose

etc.

'fun' songs ( by which I presume you mean 'tunes' as 'songs' have words to sing) are very difficult to define as every bodies idea of 'fun' is different.

the only definition I can think of is that a tune is a 'fun' tune if it brings a bit of a smile to your face when playing it, probably for no logical reason!

for me two that always have that effect , and I don't know why, are 'oh dem golden slippers' and a set of three which sir jimmy shand recorded In the late thirties-early forties for a 'palais glide' social ballroom dance which was very popular at that time. His 'set' was quite different from those used by other bands and the 'fun' bit was, to me the way he modified the rhythm and tempo to fit the palais glide. and also the unusual combination of tunes in the set. The tunes were 'road to the isles' 'swanea river' and ken john peel' .and I certainly smile when I play that set.

I also smile when playing napoleon crossing the rhine because the bloke who introduced me to that tune had concocted a very rude set of words to sing to it as an aid memoire.

george

Like George (and also being a melodeon player), must be that a lot of my 'accordian' playing is/are 'fun' songs. I find the quite fun ones are songs. My favorite fun ones are: cajun/zydeco 'my baby don't wear no clothes', 'rattlin bog' of course!, fats domino, blues, latin forms...I play dance tunes - gypsy, grooves, boogie woogie, shoot polkas and jigs sure i forgot :ch ...so that's always fun - especially when folks dance.. satie too can be fun, iirc I think I fooled a bit like that, though I think I'm really interested in the more melancholy side of accordian. I play a bit more brooding at home, although with the kids i tend to emulate jerry lee lewis, little richard.. Accordian is such a fine machine to get people moving. And, frankly, accordians are just quite fun.

I used to sing all kind of fun stuff from rocky raccoon, pete seeger, stehen foster (have a bit of a minstrelsy thing), a lot of songbook/pop/jazz standards is quite fun - gershwin, early film stuff, jelly roll morton...garcia, bluegrass, murder ballads, david lindley, taj mahal, salsa, reggae...sheesh when we were kids we played little feat, pink floyd, stones, kinks, zepplin, those british guys from faces to bowie...hard to say that all wasn't a bit of fun {} I'm gittin old but I love to listen to iggy and the more subversive stuff...as I become more insane I might try to break out some of that, or beck guero.

Although, really I took up accordian so that I WOULDN'T have to sing. :) I think I'm getting old :b

I play a lot Italian songs (tunes, as George would say☺,since I don"'t sing all of them) for fun:

Tarantella, Carnevale di Venezia, La Molisana, Piemontesina Bella, Serenata Aviglianese, Ho Detto al Sole, Finiculì Finiculà, etc. Plus polkas are fun too.

For me fun songs would be without words, but provoking actions which may be finger clicking, dancing, clapping, etc.

Therefore I would suggest
Clap clap song ( Klaxons )
Birdie song or Chicken Dance ( sorry Stephen Hawkings! )
Alouette
Cuckoo Song ( Laurel and Hardy )
Addams family song ( although there are words to this which I would choose to forget )

Have fun!

Sometimes I get into a kind of droning breakdown with Camptown Races on cajun box, doo dah. Some banjo tunes - the Foster songbook, Georgie Buck, Darling Cora, old-timey stuff is fun. I always thought Mills Bros stuff was fun. I think inherently playing jigs, two-step, waltz, et al on melodeon is fun. And PA - folks circle dancing, horas, and fast Latin rhythms - i love what S. America did with polka.

from the lack of responses from the 'classical' end of box playing are we to assume that they do not consider any of their stuff 'fun'!

george :evil: - running for cover- ;)

I think you'd find plenty if you were to watch Andre Rieu on Sky Arts - seemed to be on all the time but we've just gone off Sky. Snow waltz would be a typical fun song - again no words, well not in English anyway!

As individuals we know if playing a tune counts as fun, whatever out individual take on 'fun' is. However how do we tell if another player is playing a to him or her 'fun tune' - do we look for a wide grin, a little smirk or can one have 'fun' and keep a po face- ?????

George in Rsing about mode)

george garside post_id=55368 time=1518388316 user_id=118 said:
from the lack of responses from the classical end of box playing are we to assume that they do not consider any of their stuff fun!

Fwiw, when I play gnossienne #3, for example, fun isnt exactly what Im going for. (Not me in vid)

Look up the Italian song “Pepino the Mouse”. A fairly easy song and when you speed it up, it sounds amazing. Makes you sound like a virtuoso. That is what I am not!

My friends wanted to play the theme from "The Muppet Show." I went along with it. I even supplied appropriate sound effects with the midi unit in my accordion. They thought it was great, and thanked me profusely.

I never liked it.

Alan

Alan Sharkis post_id=55394 time=1518470822 user_id=1714 said:
My friends wanted to play the theme from The Muppet Show. I went along with it. I even supplied appropriate sound effects with the midi unit in my accordion. They thought it was great, and thanked me profusely.

I never liked it.

Alan

I find that one a challenge, still working on it. Shows where I am at.

For the instrumental stuff, I enjoy the Godfather theme, Hava Naglia and Kandels Hora. Not terribly complex.

Non instrumental there are about 20-30 I have, mostly popular music covers of the last 50-70 years. Hey You, Caution, Country Roads, Lucille, Istanbul, Traditional Irish Folk Song, Paint It Black, Hallelujah and the Flintstones are some fun ones to play, for me...besides my own.

Alan Sharkis post_id=55394 time=1518470822 user_id=1714 said:
My friends wanted to play the theme from The Muppet Show. I went along with it. I even supplied appropriate sound effects with the midi unit in my accordion. They thought it was great, and thanked me profusely.

I never liked it.

Alan

I think doing songs out of the ordinary is a good thing on the accordion. It sets you apart from the others. Good idea!
Theme TV show songs are great - here are some other ideas...
Pink Panther, Hawaii Five O, Adams Family, etc...

Play Dean Martin’s “That’s Amore” with a fast polka beat then swing into
“The Tarantella”
The crowd will go wild!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back