• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

FR8X sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mockie

Reaction score
I'm trying to load a set which I bought from a site in the Netherlands. All accordion Musette sounds.
My question, do I load SET first or USER PROGRAM, I'm having difficulty loading and saving the set.

Over and above anything first you need to have the EXPANSION that contains the sounds first. Sets and UPG's (User Programs) are separate and can be installed in either order.

Fast question... doesn't the place you bought them from offer any install instructions?

Over and above anything first you need to have the EXPANSION that contains the sounds first. Sets and UPG's (User Programs) are separate and can be installed in either order.

Fast question... doesn't the place you bought them from offer any install instructions?
I got two well made videos from the shop, one showing the installation of the User Program,
The other the installation of the Set.
I think I'm missing a link somewhere along the line and I just wanted to be sure about the order in which I install the two files.
I did order any sound Expansions.
The Set is made up of existing accordion sounds in the instrument programmed to give nice musette sounds , some with electric bass and chords.
I will upload the YouTube demos later

I got two well made videos from the shop, one showing the installation of the User Program,
The other the installation of the Set.
I think I'm missing a link somewhere along the line and I just wanted to be sure about the order in which I install the two files.
I did order any sound Expansions.
The Set is made up of existing accordion sounds in the instrument programmed to give nice musette sounds , some with electric bass and chords.
I will upload the YouTube demos later
That should read " I did Not order any sounds Expansion"

That is no surprise.
The only expansions that work on ANY V-accordion are available for free on the Roland website. ;)
Good news: There are 9 different expansions the Roland website and free to download.
Bad news: A 8x only supports a maximum of 4 installed expansions at a time (you see that list every time you boot the accordion).

If any custom UPG or set that you install "references" an expansion that is not on your accordion, it will simply not work. The people who sold you the sets/UPG must tell you "to make our product work, you must have the following expansions installed..." unless they only use the base sounds in there and then no additional expansions need to be installed. That said, the huge amount of additional sounds available for free is a fantastic source and I would be surprised to see someone NOT take advantage of them (ie: Apline, Dallape and Balkan if you want some amazing accordion sounds).

The install order of SETS or UGP are not important, they are independent. If you need an order (even though its not important), install sets first, UPG last just for comfort. :)

The expansions are the sounds a V-accordion can make. Sets and UPGs are just a series of mini programs that contain a list of sounds within the expansions and point to the sounds and their parameters and how they should be set when you choose one of them. :)

To understand the differences a little more, consider a "SET" as another kind of accordion. Consider a UPG as a combination of sounds "accordion and other layered instruments, for example a sax or piano together). To confuse things a little... some sets CAN contain layered sounds (when done manually, for example), but that's not their intended use and is a fun added plus.

Last edited:
Just a little more info on what JerryPH said. I have purchased the RIchard Noel User Program Banks. They are $150.00. They may seem expensive, but it's the best money I've spent in a long time--a great value. The first thing he has you do is read your opening screen when you turn on the 8X to see what is in your 4 expansion slots. My 8X had Alpine, Dallape, and AccOrchestra. My fourth slot was empty. Richard sent me the Balkan sounds to load in the 4th expansion slot. Based on the expansion slots, he sends you 32 User Program Banks (14 Programs in each bank). With all four expansion slots I have 304 orchestral sounds to choose from. His 32 Banks uses many of these orchestral sounds. His instructions for how to load the Expansion slot and all of his 32 program Banks is extremely detailed-very well written. What I like, is using Roland's PC Editor. I can modify his programs and "fine tune" any program to my liking. I have set my 14 registration switches to my favorites (several Accordion sounds, Piano, Vibraphone, Clarinet, Clean Guitar, Banjo, Mandolin, and several Hammond Organ Drawbar settings that I created). Any of these I have available instantly at the press of one of the 14 register switches.

John M.

P.S. Richard's Program banks are available at www.noelaccordion.com Once you at his website, select "Digital Accordionist Page"

Just a little more info on what JerryPH said. I have purchased the RIchard Noel User Program Banks. They are $150.00. They may seem expensive, but it's the best money I've spent in a long time--a great value. The first thing he has you do is read your opening screen when you turn on the 8X to see what is in your 4 expansion slots. My 8X had Alpine, Dallape, and AccOrchestra. My fourth slot was empty. Richard sent me the Balkan sounds to load in the 4th expansion slot. Based on the expansion slots, he sends you 32 User Program Banks (14 Programs in each bank). With all four expansion slots I have 304 orchestral sounds to choose from. His 32 Banks uses many of these orchestral sounds. His instructions for how to load the Expansion slot and all of his 32 program Banks is extremely detailed-very well written. What I like, is using Roland's PC Editor. I can modify his programs and "fine tune" any program to my liking. I have set my 14 registration switches to my favorites (several Accordion sounds, Piano, Vibraphone, Clarinet, Clean Guitar, Banjo, Mandolin, and several Hammond Organ Drawbar settings that I created). Any of these I have available instantly at the press of one of the 14 register switches.

John M.

P.S. Richard's Program banks are available at www.noelaccordion.com Once you at his website, select "Digital Accordionist Page"
Thank you JM
I have successful in loading my Best of Musette Set. I bought mine from Holland.
I'm a newbie and I still have a lot to learn about all the options and opportunities available.

Here is a little tidbit of info... the order in which the expansions are installed is also not critical.

I currently have installed:
1 – Alpine
2 – Dallape
3 – AccOrchestra
4 – Balkan

If I reverse or randomize the order, all my sets and UPG's continue to work well. It's like the code references the name of the expansion and not the number of the slot that the expansion is located in. :)

Here is a little tidbit of info... the order in which the expansions are installed is also not critical.

I currently have installed:
1 – Alpine
2 – Dallape
3 – AccOrchestra
4 – Balkan

If I reverse or randomize the order, all my sets and UPG's continue to work well. It's like the code references the name of the expansion and not the number of the slot that the expansion is located in. :)
I sure appreciate the solid information that you post on the 8X on this forum ( I finally got my bellows to where my tone expression/comfort level of bellows pressure is where I like it after I read a recent post of yours). You got me to "first base" and I could do a little "trimming in" to what I liked. I didn't know where to start with a range on the bellows resistance of -64 -> +64. I had my resistance at +64 and the curve at X-Heavy. It was was too "tight"/sensitive for me.

You sure know the "Inside & outs" of the 8X. There is one other fellow, that I have communicated with, that has impressed me with his knowledge on programming of the 8X, and that's Richard Noel.

John

P.S. Of course, Ventura, on this forum, is the GURU with his knowledge/experience of software and hardware from working at Roland

You sure know the "Inside & outs" of the 8X. There is one other fellow, that I have communicated with, that has impressed me with his knowledge on programming of the 8X, and that's Richard Noel.
It's just time, like most people, my knowledge is a combination of general combined with a focus on what my needs are. Richard Noel... a special guy for sure, he was out there programming and selling his sets back when it was a black art and there were no computer editors made by Roland, and shortly around the time the FR-7x was released.back in (I believe) 2010-2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back