• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

FR-4x questions

Alan Sharkis

Reaction score
The FR -4x has three modes of chord MIDI transmission:

1. Normal - this is the default mode. Major and minor chords are transmitted in MIDI as you might expect, but sevenths are transmitted as full dominant seventh chords with the fifth included. and diminished chords are transmitted as diminished seventh chords.

2. D-Mode - Only the root note of the chord is transmitted In MIDI, but the octave that the transmitted note is located in depends on whether the chord is mahor, minor, seventh or diminished. I don’t have the reference manual handy, so I can’t tell you what those octaves are.

3. Accordion Mode - Chords are transmitted in MIDI
as the would normally be constructed in an acoustic, Stradella accordion, with the fifth missing in the seventh and diminished chords.

My questions are:

1. Why didn’t Roland make Accordion Mode the default?

2. What does the “D” in D-Mode stand for?

oldbayan

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think the D mode topic has been discussed before:

Why didn’t Roland make Accordion Mode the default? Perhaps to make the MIDI implementation independent from the instrument. When yo use a MIDI controller, it's usually not tied up to a specific instrument. It's just MIDI.

Alan Sharkis

Reaction score
I found a different explanation for why Roland made the Standard Mode the default and not the Accordion Mode thanks to Greg of the Roland FR-4x group at groups.io (The successor to Yahoo Groups) who said, in essence, that the richer, fuller sevenths and diminished chords would be easier to accept than those in the Accordion Mode. He also said that the “D” in D-Mode is for “direct.”