• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

FR-1x Global Set up Preferences

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldSqueezer

Reaction score
As I have already declared, I like a good manual. But I have not managed to track down - possibly just failing eyesight - in the FR-1x instructions, how to save my preferences for eg bellows curve, key sensitivity, balance between bass and treble sides, etc, globally. That is to say as the normal set up of the system that I would then find when I turn the accordion on. The manual warns that if I do not save such changes to the parameters of the instrument they will be lost when the accordion is turned off.

I know of course that I can set these things as part of a user program, but that arrangement of preferences seems to be specific to that one user program, and does not, I think, carry over to, say, the French musette accordion when I elect to move away from playing the particular user program and start playing instead an unprogrammed, 'regular' sound. Since there are only 8 user program memories, it would be pretty limiting if one had to use one of these for every sound combination for which one wanted a bellows curve different from the factory default. So I have to believe there is a way to save global settings to match my personal overall preferences - but I cannot find how.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

Doug

Are there no “save system settings” options on the 1x?

See page 45 - SAVE YOUR CHANGES
This section appears just before the Parameters List.

See page 45 - SAVE YOUR CHANGES
This section appears just before the Parameters List.
Ah, yes, thanks. Rereading, I see this is the way. I was thrown off track as I read it quickly, by the reference to the 'user program' button. But of course it is also the 'enter' (confirm) button. Stupid boy! Me, not you (a 'Dad's Army' reference☹️)
Doug

I'm mystified. At about 0645 this morning, my time, @pentaprism replied to me with links to a number of videos, giving instruction on the setting up and operation of the FR-1x. They were originally commercially available but are no longer because the provider has gone out of business, so there is no other way I could get access to them. I replied, thanking him, and said I would have a look at them later in the day. I have just returned to the thread to discover that both his missive and my reply have disappeared. Has the moderator removed them as an offence against copyright or something, please? Or did pentaprism become concerned about that and ask for his message to be deleted?
I'm not pressing. Just interested to know what may have happened... Perhaps dementia has kicked up a notch and I imagined the whole thing, or maybe pentaprism's account has been hacked and the links are all to that well known African benefactor who is constantly keen to get my bank details to give me large amounts of money ?
Doug

Or did pentaprism become concerned about that and ask for his message to be deleted?
No. I would have told you it it were the case. Unless dementia has kicked up a notch and I did it and promptly forgot the whole thing.
or maybe pentaprism's account has been hacked
Not as far as I know.
Perhaps dementia has kicked up a notch and I imagined the whole thing,...
That's a possibility. But I can't tell, Doug ?

BTW, I just checked my PM - all the messages were still there.

@pentaprism Thanks for that both humorous and informative response. I‘m afraid it was down to my imperfect understanding of the forum, to which you provided the key when you mentioned checking your PM. I have now realised I have this separate access, and have looked at mine. There, comfortable as anything, I found nestling our exchange of this morning. Thanks again @pentaprism, and for taking the trouble to respond to my puzzlement.
Doug

Hahaha.....

We all go insane at some point in time; fortunately, not everyone at the same time. :)

As I have already declared, I like a good manual. But I have not managed to track down - possibly just failing eyesight - in the FR-1x instructions, how to save my preferences for eg bellows curve, key sensitivity, balance between bass and treble sides, etc, globally. That is to say as the normal set up of the system that I would then find when I turn the accordion on. The manual warns that if I do not save such changes to the parameters of the instrument they will be lost when the accordion is turned off.

I know of course that I can set these things as part of a user program, but that arrangement of preferences seems to be specific to that one user program, and does not, I think, carry over to, say, the French musette accordion when I elect to move away from playing the particular user program and start playing instead an unprogrammed, 'regular' sound. Since there are only 8 user program memories, it would be pretty limiting if one had to use one of these for every sound combination for which one wanted a bellows curve different from the factory default. So I have to believe there is a way to save global settings to match my personal overall preferences - but I cannot find how.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

Doug
Btw how do you like the Fr1x... I have a FR4x and purchased the Fr1x as a spare...I am thinking a small accordion could be entertaining to the audience...?

Btw how do you like the Fr1x... I am thinking a small accordion could be entertaining to the audience...?
I like it a lot. I traded up from an FR-1 and have never regretted that. It is clearly a more versatile instrument, and in shiny black looks more professional and less toy/show biz than the white with red accents of its predecessor. Of course that may run counter to your 'entertaining to the audience' point. I am not sure about 'small equals [more] entertaining' though. I guess audiences are accustomed to seeing small accordions in the folk, cajun, and zydeco scenes, so the usp would come from the wealth of different sounds you produced from something of this size. There are many but the small amount of memory for extra sounds - you have to choose which two of Dallapé, Alpine, or AccOrchestra extensions you want on board, for example - the limited accommodation for user programs, and the clunky user set editing (no idea what it will sound like until you transfer it via USB stick on to the FR-1x), means these things are a lot less easy than on your 4x. It weighs about two thirds of the 4x, so if you are doing a lot of strolling there may be an advantage there, but for you rather than the audience. I still use a back strap on mine though - it's just more comfortable. I don't remember from your previous posts whether you are a PA or a CBA player. As you know, FR-1x players find themselves having to cope with one less octave, which despite octave shifting, may limit the keys in which you can easily play. I suppose my attitude to the 1x is summed up by the fact that, although I aspire to a 4x, I am far from certain that I would want to trade in my lesser accordion as part of the upgrade on this occasion. Hope these random thoughts may assist you.
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back