• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

FR-1b owners! How to change treble mode for free bass?

KillTheAlarm

Reaction score
Just discovered from this post that there's a free bass on Roland FR1 (the older model).

However, it seems to be on C-griff mode. Is there a way to switch to B-griff?

I scoured the manual (not a mention of free bass), the internet, and gave up.

As a summary for the sake of people hitting this posting with a search: free bass and right-hand bass mode (bass accordion essentially, also with orchestral patches) are available with a firmware update V2.0.0 on FR-1 and FR-1b (no x in the version number, the instrument without internal speakers). I don't know whether there is anything newer; that's what I have. I don't have the firmware file itself (would be nice). You find a description of the updated functionality on the Japanese website of Roland on the manual pages for the FR-1 and FR-1b. In Japanese.

At one time there must have been the same in European languages for download: I got mysefl the PDF which contains versions in 6 languages. I can no longer find it on the Roland websites, nor does anybody claim to know anything about it.

The still available main manual does not contain information about the additional V2.0.0 functionality that was at one time apparently installed free of cost by Roland Service if you wanted it.

Thanks so much for finding this @dak !

In short, to switch free bass itself, press [SET] + [4] together.

And to change layout, go into function mode and press the highlighted key/button (see pic), and there you will be able to switch free bass layouts.
1708179582198.png

Back