• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Fountain pens

vivdunstan

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Any other fountain pen enthusiasts here? I never used one at school (I’m 50, in Scotland) but got into them up more recently. I find them much easier to write with, so important with my progressive neurological disease which makes my right writing hand weaker. Much less effort required to produce words.

Here is a photo of my accordion working arrangement a little while ago today. I use a Pelikan M200 with extra fine gold nib to note changes on printed sheet music, that I later then transfer to my sheet music software on my laptop. This is my dedicated fountain pen for accordion sheet music work! Having a metal barrel it’s sturdy but with the extra fine nib it writes well even on normal thin printer paper. And again easier for me than a biro or felt tip.

682D58CF-F706-4C33-985A-151B01887C96.jpeg

Always got a fountain pen with me...any thing less is misery

For editing, I use a propelling pencil: like Zevy.🙂
I gave up on fountain pens once ballpoint pens became available because, at the time, even quite expensive models were a messy nuisance, inclined to leak and leave ink stains on your fiingets and shirt pockets.🫤
Also, pen nibs tend to be quite directional and scratchy, whereas ballpoints are very smooth in any direction. 🙂
They are relatively cheap and long lasting between replacements.
I remember a time when every corner newsagent sold fountain pen ink, not so nowadays: even the stand alone newsagent is a rarity!😄

I have a modest collection of fountain pens and a bureau full of inks - all sorts of colours and brands. In a world where we're banning plastic straws but more than 200 million disposable biros are sold in the UK alone each year it seems mad to me that reusable pens aren't talked about more. They're not expensive either, you can get a decent fountain pen for under £20 and a small bottle of ink that will last for around 80 refills will set you back £5 - in any colour you want!

A couple of pens I have to talk a little more in detail about:

Pilot Decimo - a slightly more slender version of the Pilot Capless Vanishing Point. It has a button at the end of the pen that when clicked extends/retracts the nib, much like a clicky ballpoint. I like it so much I own two (one extra fine, one medium and also bough a fine nib unit to swap in when wanted) and bought one for my girlfriend. We both get a lot of interest from colleagues and customers. Like most Pilot pens it writes very well and is by far the most convenient fountain pen I own. No uncapping, just click, write, click again.

Pilot Custom 823 - a vacuum filling pen that holds an absurd amount of ink. The main ink chamber is sealed off when the pen is not in use so I can leave this unused for a year, pick it up and it will start writing again in seconds! When you want to use it you simply uncap the pen and unscrew the piston at the back slightly to open the ink chamber up. The nib on this is the best thing I've written with, completely embarrassing my more expensive Montblanc 146. Again, such a good pen I had to get a second - so now I have a fine and a medium (one in the amber and another in smoke black)

I haven't bought anything in a while, but for Japanese pens it was always much cheaper to buy from Japan directly and import them. I used www.pensachi.com a lot, sometimes costing half as much as the same pen would in UK if it managed to slip through customs without any fees. Even with the fees it was a huge saving.

I like to try a little bit of everything so seem to have accumulated every 'type' of pen (hooded nib, vintage, vacuum filler, piston filler, faceted, ink windows, italic nib, etc.) from as many different countries of origin as possible. Lamy 2000, Leonardo Momento Zero, Sailor Pro Gear, TWSBI... I could go on all day!

Most of my pens are Japanese fine or European extra fine (for those who don't know, Japanese nib sizes tend to write finer than their European counterpart). This is because if I'm writing it's mostly not going to be on nice fountain pen friendly paper but instead on cheap copy paper. A fine nib with the right ink ensures no bleed through or feathering - probably two of the biggest reasons people will choose a biro over a fountain pen.

I much prefer re-filling empty cartridges when there's no built-in filling system. They hold a lot more than cartridge converters and are quicker/easier to fill when using a syringe. Also a lot easier to flush cartridge pens out to use a different colour with than piston and vacuum fillers are - I tend to keep those pens to a single ink

Speaking of ink, Pilot Iroshizuku is definitely one of the best - but will cost you a lot! For quality, value and choice of colours my favourite brand is Diamine. Made in Liverpool UK you can get an 80ml bottle for what most brands charge for 30-50ml. They have an insane choice of colours too, I have about 3 different variants of teal from them - and at under £6 a bottle why not?

If anyone doesn't currently have a fountain pen and would like to try one on the cheap, I've quite enjoyed this replica of the classic Parker 51 - the Wing Sung 601 (ebay). Fine enough to work on cheap paper, quick and convenient to uncap and write with, not the end of the world if lost/stolen/damaged and incredibly easy to fill from a bottle of ink with a great capacity. Just take the cap off, unscrew the bottom of the pen to reveal the filling button, stick the nib into a bottle, give the button a few presses, wipe off the nib and you're done! Easy to take apart and clean if you wanted to change ink colour in the future

For writing on sheet music I use a Kaweco Special Short Pencil with 2B 0.9mm lead - clear and bold but still erasable with the built-in rubber. It's made of metal so it's heavy enough to sit on the music stand without falling off when moving sheets around

Last edited:
Some of the collection... cheaper than collecting accordions!

20230207_020318.jpg

They all get used in a very slow rotation - I have a small case that holds two pens so I'll keep two in there inked at any given time. Usually one with a black ink and the other something a little more fun

Last edited:
I don't have "fancy" fountain pens - but I love writing with them. I can't stand ballpoints, they hurt my hand... I quit writing with ballpoint when I was in my teens. It used to be easy to buy cheap fountain pens in US stores, but that got a lot harder around 2000. Eventually I resorted to buying a box of my preferred cheap refillable, the Parker Vector, from India. (They were not only less expensive, but leaked less than a lot of more expensive pens did.) I still haven't used up the whole box. Cheap gel and rollerball pens diverted some of my enthusiasm.

For composing, I used the dip-and-scratch method with a nib and a bottle of India ink, starting at age 16 and continuing until I finally gave up on manuscript paper and switchd to computer software in 2007.

I don't care for pencil much either - writing extensively with it hurts my hand almost as much as ballpoint - but I still keep one on my music stand.

I would recommend the switch away from ballpoint for just about everyone who wants to avoiding hurting themselves.

Always been my preferred writing instrument.

Really thin metal Montblanc Slimline for many years until I lost the top somewhere.
Similar Cross Century for the last 30 years :)

Usually filled with red ink - makes notations on printed music / documents really easy to see.
I also have green ink for signing cheques, and black ink for tax documents.

I thought I would need to go to a museum to see a fountain pen! I make do with a lead pencil first and then a good quality gel pen (with a good stock of correction tape nearby).

Speaking of ink, Pilot Iroshizuku is definitely one of the best - but will cost you a lot! For quality, value and choice of colours my favourite brand is Diamine. Made in Liverpool UK you can get an 80ml bottle for what most brands charge for 30-50ml. They have an insane choice of colours too, I have about 3 different variants of teal from them - and at under £6 a bottle why not?

Diamine are my favourite brand too. Diamine Chocolate Brown gets most use in my pens, being permanently loaded into my two Lamy 2000 pens, my Pelikan M200 and others. Diamine Scribble Purple is permanently in my Visconti Homo Sapiens Midnight in Florence. My TWSBI Diamond 580AL has Diamine Red Dragon in it. And my Leonardo Momento Zero Grande Luna Rossa with a #8 nib has Diamine Writers Blood - that pen with the extra large nib benefits from the more flowing ink. My pens are almost all piston fillers, which I find much easier to manage with my neurological disease and hand control problems. And I use almost always bottled ink.

It‘s so interesting seeing people’s responses. Thanks folks! Again for me I find writing with a good fountain pen so much better and smoother than eg a biro, ballpoint or even gel pen. Much less effort for me to produce ink on the page. It also works well where a ballpoint would struggle, eg on a piece of sheet music vertically on a stand with nothing behind it to press on. A gel pen would probably be the best alternative option in that situation. But I’m happier with my fountain pens, rather than generate more landfill.

Do you have a 'grail' pen you're after/would buy if money were no object @vivdunstan ?
I did. The Visconti Homo Sapiens Midnight in Florence. But I ended up buying it for a birthday a couple of years ago. So I have it in my hands :) And it honestly remains my 'grail pen', in the sense that it's what I'd like the most. The only difference now is it is mine, and I don't still have to get it!

What about you?

I did. The Visconti Homo Sapiens Midnight in Florence. But I ended up buying it for a birthday a couple of years ago. So I have it in my hands :) And it honestly remains my 'grail pen', in the sense that it's what I'd like the most. The only difference now is it is mine, and I don't still have to get it!

What about you?
I'd really like a new old stock Namiki Vanishing Point, the 'old' design. The faceted Omas Arco Bronze is also a contender...

But in terms of something that's realistically still available to purchase, I think something with Urushi lacquer. Probably the Nakaya Writer

I've also been holding out for a limited edition Aurora Optima that I actually like, the options over the past few years have not been to my taste

Petch. How about recommending one of those short compact fountain pens....I've yet to find one that works perfectly but would love one compact enough to fit in jeans pocket...🙏

Petch. How about recommending one of those short compact fountain pens....I've yet to find one that works perfectly but would love one compact enough to fit in jeans pocket...🙏
I think my favourite small pen is the Pilot E95s - very short but the cap posts to make it 'full size'. The design might be a bit of an acquired taste however and is only available with a gold nib so it's not the cheapest

Again, would recommend buying from Pensachi for a significant saving! https://www.pensachi.com/collections/pilot-elite-95s-fountain-pens/products/fes-1mm-dr

Attachments

• 9FACFFFB-DF5B-433E-BF55-FC83547BE72E.jpeg
    9FACFFFB-DF5B-433E-BF55-FC83547BE72E.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 11
Back