• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Found in my parent's attic! Identify/Value?

S

SSJStarwind16

Good Morning;

I was going through my parents attic and found the case with this Covella Accordion.

Its an Ivory/Sparkly Orange color, the bellows are in good shape. There is a 1600 or 1b00 scratched into the bottom.

Any information would be greatly appreciate any help!

G

Geronimo

Well, this is an accordionists' forum, so asking how much money you might make off selling some instrument you inherited is likely to meet as much enthusiasm as asking on a parenting forum for the marketable value of some nephew you did not expect having.

Most advice to be had here will focus around making the most of your possession in ways other than selling it. And as a rule, most instruments with an attic history so remote that the children never saw the instrument to start with will require a whole lot of care before they are more valuable to some outsider than to the one having brought them back to life again.

This looks like an Italian mass import in lady size. In good shape (which it pretty certainly isn't anymore, very likely it has leather valves of which the majority are curled and/or stiffened, and likely the wax sealing the reed plates has become brittle, and I'm not even talking about rust and mold yet), it's fine for starting to learn accordion play on it. It might even be a suitable instrument for small-scale entertainment as vocal accompaniment.

With the given 3 registers (Master, Sax, Violin) it's likely a 3-reed, I'd guess of MMM type.

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Geronimo post_id=55464 time=1518710918 user_id=2623 said:

With the given 3 registers (Master, Sax, Violin) its likely a 3-reed, Id guess of MMM type.
I have a small accordion with 3 register switches. They are M MM and M again. With 3 switches I am expecting only 2 reeds.

As for the OPs question about value, it obviously depends on how the instrument plays (sitting in an attic for many years is not a good sign) but a large 2 voice accordion will never fetch much. One might get between $150 and $200 if it really is good, but for that money I agree its better to look for a different purpose for the instrument other than selling it.

G

Geronimo

debra post_id=55467 time=1518713757 user_id=605 said:

With the given 3 registers (Master, Sax, Violin) its likely a 3-reed, Id guess of MMM type.
I have a small accordion with 3 register switches. They are M MM and M again. With 3 switches I am expecting only 2 reeds.
Me too, unless the register switches clearly carry three separate names, and when both violin and Sax are available, they are typically MM subsets of an MMM instrument.

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Geronimo post_id=55469 time=1518719167 user_id=2623 said:
... unless the register switches clearly carry three separate names, and when both violin and Sax are available, they are typically MM subsets of an MMM instrument.

You are right: the different names on all three registers do suggest that there may be three reeds so they could be M, MM and MMM, but of course there could just be two, having M1, M1-M2, M2 (violin is then tuned sharp but just one reed).
I have never understood why people would want a 3 reed instrument that is MMM and not LMM.

S

SSJStarwind16

Well, this is an accordionists forum, so asking how much money you might make off selling some instrument you inherited is likely to meet as much enthusiasm as asking on a parenting forum for the marketable value of some nephew you did not expect having.

Most advice to be had here will focus around making the most of your possession in ways other than selling it. And as a rule, most instruments with an attic history so remote that the children never saw the instrument to start with will require a whole lot of care before they are more valuable to some outsider than to the one having brought them back to life again.

This looks like an Italian mass import in lady size. In good shape (which it pretty certainly isnt anymore, very likely it has leather valves of which the majority are curled and/or stiffened, and likely the wax sealing the reed plates has become brittle, and Im not even talking about rust and mold yet), its fine for starting to learn accordion play on it. It might even be a suitable instrument for small-scale entertainment as vocal accompaniment.

I understand the nature of my request so I was looking for some general thoughts about. A friend wishes to purchase it and he wants some info as well as he doesnt want to inadvertently rip me off, nor I him. I apologize for any offense.

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it!

S

SSJStarwind16

lightninboy post_id=55466 time=1518712353 user_id=913 said:
It looks nice. Does it play good?

I honestly its loud and sounds clear so I dont know what all is good since I dont know how to play. I have a friend who wants to learn thinking about purchasing it.

S

SSJStarwind16

As for the OPs question about value, it obviously depends on how the instrument plays (sitting in an attic for many years is not a good sign) but a large 2 voice accordion will never fetch much. One might get between $150 and $200 if it really is good, but for that money I agree its better to look for a different purpose for the instrument other than selling it.

Its got 3 switches, Sax Master Violin

The bellows appear to be in good shape and the buttons are all springy. It was in a climate controlled attic so I dont think its likely in all that bad a shape, I mean it didnt have major temp swings or extremes.

G

Geronimo

SSJStarwind16 post_id=55473 time=1518720970 user_id=2740 said:

Its got 3 switches, Sax Master Violin

The bellows appear to be in good shape and the buttons are all springy. It was in a climate controlled attic so I dont think its likely in all that bad a shape, I mean it didnt have major temp swings or extremes.
Well, the valve problems are usually apparent when starting notes at low volume and the increasing. If there is sort-of a plop after which tones get clearer and louder, the valves have taken a hit.

A number of things can be seen by opening the instrument (there will be bellows pins you can pull: make sure not to damage the body of the instrument while doing so and lay them out carefully so that you can put each pin back where you got it from: they arent always exactly the same size) and looking inside (and making a few photographs). Basically the state of the valves, worse humidity damages, and with good lighting and focus, one can guess at the state of the wax (basically see whether it has got cracks or is flaking off).

But you cannot really guess at the overall possible value without having someone play it who knows what they are doing.

L

lightninboy

SSJStarwind16 post_id=55472 time=1518720842 user_id=2740 said:
lightninboy post_id=55466 time=1518712353 user_id=913 said:
It looks nice. Does it play good?

I honestly its loud and sounds clear so I dont know what all is good since I dont know how to play. I have a friend who wants to learn thinking about purchasing it.
Well, if all the buttons and keys work right and it doesnt stick and doesnt leak air,etc., its a keeper, Id say. Something that isnt good enough for playing in public can still be good enough for learning on and practicing on.

Stephen Hawkins

Experienced Gentleman.
Reaction score
Hello Starwind,

I am all for using old forgotten instruments again, and have recently cleaned up a Hohner Arietta IV M 120/41 which has been stored in a garage for the last 29 years. (in Northern England)

Perhaps a flexible approach to deciding its value would work. Let your friend take it and use it for a while before you settle on a price. This would allow time for someone to cast an expert eye over the instrument, and advise on any remedial work that needs doing.

Strictly speaking, it may be that your instrument would cost more to repair than its value, but I think it is worth the effort to find out. It could be a horror story when the box is opened, but it may not be too bad. There is only one way to find out.

Anyway, it looks quite nice, and would be a great talking point when conversing with other accordionists.

Good Luck & Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Thomas N

Reaction score
Sadly, very little. Single bass reed? Maybe three treble reeds? This is a student model accordion. Ive seen really nice Petosa Student Model 3/3 accordions sell for $400 on eBay. I would think a 3/1 non name-brand Student Model accordion might be worth $100. Personally I find the color scheme pretty brutal but thats entirely subjective and someone will probably be looking for that scheme.

I dont think youll fetch over $100 for it.

jozz

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
SSJStarwind16 post_id=55472 time=1518720842 user_id=2740 said:

Nice find, it looks really flashy :!:

You could test a couple of things, even if you cant really play it:

- without pushing any keys, hold it so the bellows can fall to the ground, if it comes apart really really slow, almost not at all, it is tight (which is good), also try it the other way around so that the bellows collaps again on their own.

- download a tuner app, like the BOSS tuner from Roland, and start pushing keys (whilst pulling the bellows), to see if they are in the green/middle (which is good)

If these tests are OK, Id say it should be playable.