• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

SOLD: For Sale: Vintage Hohner Morino "2+1" piano accordion

Sandy Flett

Reaction score
This is a rare, vintage Hohner Morino "2+1"piano accordion (aka Morino 1), in excellent playing order and cosmetic condition. It is as close as a piano accordion can get to the famed sound of the Shand Morino button accordion. The 2+1 Morinos were built in 1938 alongside the prototype of the Shand Morino, with the same unique design principles. Like the Shand Morino the 2+1 does not have cassotto chambers, and with the quality of its reeds and the characteristic Scottish musette (MMM) tuning, the sound has a great “zing” to it. The bellows are completely tight (great compression), and the playing action and reeds are very responsive and positive. The two treble couplers allow selection of M, LM, MMM and LMMM voices. A single bass coupler allows selection of lighter reeds, or full reeds giving a rich and clear sound. The bellows are locked by a "stop" just behind the chin end of the treble. The sale includes a hard case - typical 50s "sloping lid" – in very good condition. The instrument weighs 11.8kg.

I have posted a number of videos on YouTube; following are four examples:

Two Scottish marches -
Two French Canadian reels:
Four Scottish reels:
Slow air and waltz:

The reason for selling my Morino is that age is catching up with me and I have come to prefer playing my smaller and lighter 34/72 Pigini. The Morino is just too special a box to not be owned and played regularly by someone who appreciates its unique design and sound.

I am located in Taunton (Somerset, England) where the box can be viewed.

Price is £780 or near offer.

Preference is for collection and payment by bank transfer. If needed, cash on collection can be accepted. Alternatively the instrument can be sent by courier to a UK Mainland address at a cost to the buyer of £15 uninsured (buyer can arrange own insurance for transit through the likes of Newmoon Insurance).

Attachments

• 2+1 vertical, fanned, on floor.jpg
    2+1 vertical, fanned, on floor.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Horizontal.jpg
    Horizontal.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 39
  • View of back.jpg
    View of back.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Bass end.jpg
    Bass end.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 34
  • View from top.jpg
    View from top.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Case closed up.jpg
    Case closed up.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 36

wirralaccordion

Reaction score
Hi Sandy,
I bought the very same accordion on here last year and have been very pleased with it.
The only downside was that the grid marking on the C root button had worn so as to be almost non-existent whilst the A flat and E buttons had never been marked from day 1 and were smooth like all the other bass buttons.
All in all an excellent purchase.
Hope you find a buyer.
Phil
P.S. Mine weighs 10.8kg
P.P.S. Don't know why it's called 2 +1?

Sandy Flett

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, Phil.

I think it is generally assumed it is called a 2+1 because of having two couplers on the treble side and 1 on the bass.

rhythmbox

Reaction score
With lots of viewings (240 to date) but no offers to buy yet, I have decided to reduce my asking price to £720 or near offer.
Hi Sandy...long time no see/speak! A certain showroom in Melrose in the 70's might jog your memory..?
Hope your 2+1 finds the appreciative home it deserves...I really like mine, and your price is very fair... Good luck!

Chickers

Reaction score
SANDY:
Thanks for the performance.
You play the Hohner Morino well.
I enjoy the tune.
The accordion, and her case look like she has been very well cared for.
I wish you the best.
CHICKERS

Sandy Flett

Reaction score
Going by the number of views there still seems to be lots of interest in my Morino. Would anybody like to make me a reasonable offer (guide price currently is £720)?

Dingo40

Been here for ages!
Reaction score
Extremely reasonable price, just that I'm not in the market for another instrument, very sorry.
How are the couplers meant to be actuated? Are they chin switches?🤔

Big Squeezy Accordions

Site Supporter
Reaction score
What is the tuning? I have the exact same model and realized immediately after buying it that it was tuned to somewhere around A432, and therefore unplayable with most other instruments.

Sandy Flett

Reaction score
Extremely reasonable price, just that I'm not in the market for another instrument, very sorry.
How are the couplers meant to be actuated? Are they chin switches?🤔
The treble couplers are actuated by the two edge-of-keyboard switches - you can see them in the "view of rear" photo.
The bass coupler is the long bar between buttons and bellows.

Sandy Flett

Reaction score
What is the tuning? I have the exact same model and realized immediately after buying it that it was tuned to somewhere around A432, and therefore unplayable with most other instruments.
That must have been very disappointing. I have just checked the frequency on my iPhone tuner app and am pleased to report that A=440 spot on.

Big Squeezy Accordions

Site Supporter
Reaction score
That must have been very disappointing. I have just checked the frequency on my iPhone tuner app and am pleased to report that A=440 spot on.
It was foolish of me not to check, and definitely dishonest of the seller not to tell me. Live and learn. I almost always check this, since buying an otherwise nice professional Philharmonic on eBay many years ago that was tuned to A445. I had always found Hohners to be A440, so didn't check the tuning that one time. Good that yours is 440.