• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

fontanella Accordian

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bentarrow

Can anyone please help?
I have recently been given a Fontanella accordion model number 41/120 2/4-1. Many of the buttons are stuck in so I wanted to take it apart to rectify the problem. However, after examining it I cant see how to get it apart, it does not seem to have any pins and only 3 screws on the back panel towards the keyboard. Having removed the screws I freed the bellows on that side but the bottom is still secured with no obvious way of opening.
Any ideas would be gratefully received

Access to bass buttons is usually acquired by removing the bottom plate. You first remove the strap (that you use to pull and push) and then typically the bottom plate unscrews with a few small screws. Then you get to see the complex bass mechanism and can start carefully inspecting and fixing the mechanism.

Hi Bentarrow, My all time favourite little box.

Debra’s advice above applies to 99% of accordions, but unfortunately not this one because the manufacturers did not follow conventional practice here. To access the bass workings you first remove the entire cover which is held on by 2 x spring loaded plungers. See photo 1
These plungers often lose their knurled head, making removal difficult. When this happens you must release the springs by either :-
1) Drilling and tapping an M2 hole in the plunger spindle or
2) Grasping the threaded collar (see photo 2)
This photo shows the bracket where the plunger locates.
It’s not easy but it can be done.

If this is the first time you have tried to free the bass buttons then I strongly advise you to read the accordion revival website before starting.
Let us know how you get on and if you need more photographs of the inside please pm me – I have numerous.
p.s. The photos are of the treble cover but the bass one is very similar.
Ca canny
Garth

Attachments

• WP_20171020_14_14_15_Pro.jpg
    WP_20171020_14_14_15_Pro.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 879
  • WP_20171020_14_13_49_Pro.jpg
    WP_20171020_14_13_49_Pro.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 881
  • WP_20171020_14_12_01_Pro.jpg
    WP_20171020_14_12_01_Pro.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 879
  • S73F0786.JPG
    S73F0786.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 869
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Thank you. Will get back to you when I have had another look at it

There was a box similar to the one you describe (it may even be this one) for sale on Ebay last week and yes, I was strongly tempted. The only thing that put me off was the wave of female telepathic powers filling the room – They were saying things like ‘just try it!’, ‘not on your life!’, and the Doric version of ‘on yer bike!’ I was left watching the auction end with a real bargain not coming to Aberdeenshire, however I live to fight another day.
Ca canny
Garth

Garth
Just want to say thanks for your help, I have been able to get it apart and begin to repair it
Frank

Well done Frank. When I got my first one the heads had broken off all the plungers - Talk about mission impossible.
If you need further help, you know where we are.
Garth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back