• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Fix sticky buttons on button accordion

Dhertz

Reaction score
Hi all. I've recently purchased a hagströms 813 accordion and the buttons on the treble side (I believe) are getting stuck in the down position (lifted pad)

I believe that I've figured out it just needs a good clean as changing springs with working buttons did nothing. Moving all pads down also made the accordion quiet when bellowing which means pads are good (I think?)

Is there anyone who could explain the process of cleaning the lever mechanisms because some things are glued (top of buttons, button board to a wooden board in third pic) and I'd rather not do something irreversible.

Excuse my terminology since I am new to this. Any help in figuring out what scale(?) this accorion is in would also be appreciated.
There is also some kind of switch on the treble side which as two modes. What does this do? I could not figure it out by ear.

Attachments

• received_2993583520947276.jpeg
    received_2993583520947276.jpeg
    300 KB · Views: 29
  • 20221225_220246.jpg
    20221225_220246.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20221225_220236.jpg
    20221225_220236.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 30
Hi all. I've recently purchased a hagströms 813 accordion and the buttons on the treble side (I believe) are getting stuck in the down position (lifted pad)

I believe that I've figured out it just needs a good clean as changing springs with working buttons did nothing. Moving all pads down also made the accordion quiet when bellowing which means pads are good (I think?)

Is there anyone who could explain the process of cleaning the lever mechanisms because some things are glued (top of buttons, button board to a wooden board in third pic) and I'd rather not do something irreversible.

Excuse my terminology since I am new to this. Any help in figuring out what scale(?) this accorion is in would also be appreciated.
There is also some kind of switch on the treble side which as two modes. What does this do? I could not figure it out by ear.
This is a chromatic button accordion in the c-griff layout so you aren’t limited to specific keys like you are on a diatonic button box. The switches should let you select between different reed combinations—either different octaves or stacked /de-tuned duplicates for richer /fuller sound.

Sadly accordions with buttons glued onto the "stems" instead of using screw-in buttons are not made with maintenance and repair in mind. When purchasing an accordion it's important to verify whether buttons can be unscrewed and avoid buying an accordion with glued-on buttons. (This includes Pigini accordions, Excelsior and other names made by them (for instance Hohners made by them, like Morino...)
Of course, the buttons can still be removed by very gently and carefully prying them loose (and later glueing them back unless you are smart and replace the buttons by screw-on buttons)...
To clean the keyboard you need to remove the buttons. Then you can remove the plate under the buttons and finally remove the levers, typically from an axle/rod that you can pull out. But whether that's the case on this accordion we cannot see. There are different mechanisms, most of them with an axle, but some with another method to rotate the levers, and some with a fixed axle, but most accordions have an axle you pull out, slowly, gently, so you work from low to high notes and take out one lever at a time, keeping track of spacers that may be present as well.
Most button accordions have at least 2 axles, some 3 or more....
In terms of accordion repair the disassembly (and re-assembly) of a button keyboard is not the first job you should attempt. It is much more difficult than a piano keyboard.
Keyboard disassembly is essential in order to be able to clean every part thoroughly (but without bending anything). When everything is clean and nothing is bent the keyboard should work flawlessly after re-assembly. It is imperative that you do not use any lubricant (as that just attracts dust and dirt). An accordion keyboard does not need any lubrication.

Just to add a couple cents -
It looks like your keys are installed into a wooden base, so it is possible that wood has shifted/expanded with time and the key rods are catching on the wood. Worth a check anyway.

I was very surprised that I even managed to take apart a 5-row keyboard on my cba for a clean, and I was even more surprised when I managed to put it back together again!
Yours might be fine and is probably a single axle job, as your 4th and 5th rows are mounted on the same shafts as 1 and 2.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips everyone!
I actually finished the job yesturday and while the problem probably was the keys rods catching on the plastic guard (and some adjusting of the rods were the solution) I disassembled, cleaned and reassembled everything successfully. Sadly I discovered a broken reed in the process but nothing I'm stressing over fixing just yet.

Complete disassembly and reassembly is quite simple if you take your time and work methodically. There was only one axle as tcabot pointed out. No present spacers (except some paper) and I sanded the slots to bring down any raised wood grain. I also used some engine cleaner on all rods and axles as to remove all grime.

I also opted to glue on the buttons again since I'd rather not buy new buttons just yet (I got this accordion used for ~50eur).

Sadly I forgot to take more pictures.

Attachments

• 20221229_210313.jpg
    20221229_210313.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 31
I actually finished the job yesturday and while the problem probably was the keys rods catching on the plastic guard (and some adjusting of the rods were the solution) I disassembled, cleaned and reassembled everything successfully. Sadly I discovered a broken reed in the process but nothing I'm stressing over fixing just yet.

Complete disassembly and reassembly is quite simple if you take your time and work methodically. There was only one axle as tcabot pointed out. No present spacers (except some paper) and I sanded the slots to bring down any raised wood grain. I also used some engine cleaner on all rods and axles as to remove all grime.

I also opted to glue on the buttons again since I'd rather not buy new buttons just yet (I got this accordion used for ~50eur).

Good job! You were lucky in a few places there: the stems happened to be wood and not celluloid. When buttons and stems are both celluloid they can be glued to gether in a much stronger bond. Then there was only one axle so no messing with each note having two buttons on a different axle... and no spacers to carefully keep in the right place and order...
But still, it's good to have been able to solve the issues!

Thanks for the photo Dhertz.
I was wondering how to remove the glued on buttons on my latest acquisition and the photo explains all (y)

Thanks for the photo Dhertz.
I was wondering how to remove the glued on buttons on my latest acquisition and the photo explains all (y)
No problem! I used tape to remember which buttons go where, I wish I had used painters tape because the one I used left an annoying residue to clean up..

Back