• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

First video test, lots of small surprises

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ive ordered a 3-point video lighting equipment recently (was supposed to be here last week, but due to a snow storm in Nevada, shipment has been delayed) and so today I made a few tests with the equipment that I had (background, camera and a single light source).

Some of the questions that I had were how would the subject (me) would fill the frame in a 1920X1080 HD format screen and if the background that I had could be integrated somehow. I also needed to test out and find what camera settings and what lenses best worked (I have Nikon D4 professional digital camera, but it does video acceptably well). I then wanted to test out the differences between an on-camera shotgun microphone versus the digital output (FR-8X connected to the BK-7m and the BK recorded everything to a flash drive).

Here is the resultant test video:

My feelings are that the video quality is acceptable, but the big surprise was at how much of a difference in sound I heard. I expected some clear differences, not just as much as I experienced in favor of the digital output. I also learned that I dont like recording direct to a flash drive, I prefer sending the individual channels out to my mixer and from there to the digital audio workstation, where I can spend the time and better balance out each channel to my satisfaction. Its more work, but the results are simply more pleasing to my ears.

Please feel free to share your opinions and ideas on where I could improve on things like video quality, framing or anything else. Dont bother to comment on the quality of the song itself, I just took that song because it was something quick and easy to play, though if I do decide to make a video using this song, I will need to practice the song itself more and some other events (synching treble register changes and drum solo foot switches for better smoothness, etc...).

All comments are appreciated. :)

Video and lighting looks good . With regards to the sound the digital recording had far more depth. I think your decision to record to a DAW is the best option as it leaves you a lot of flexibility later.

The camera mic gives dreadful sound. But the direct audio is great.
This just goes to show that it is hard to judge sound quality of an instrument from a recording. The recording equipment has more influence on the final result than the differences between instruments.

Jerry -

This is excellent! Well I'll never need to figure out what equipment to use to record audio anymore. This clears it all up - right to the USB. There truly isn't any comparison.

The video quality is excellent. Love the background, you're a good-looking guy and your playing is very clean and good.

Thank you for posting. Looking forward to lots more from you I hope.

Really impressive differences....way to go...
Now i'm puzzling how did you sync the digital recording with the movie...
Any help as always gratefully received
Thankyou for opening my ears...

The " clapperboard" method is always a good way to synch the sound to action. Or , more practically as you will be strapped into a ton of accordion and transfixed on your "spot" by lights and mics make some strong visual signal connected with a verbal out put before you actually start performing. Something as simple as one two three four and hand gestures to count . I usually tell myself to, ermmm "go away" with the appropriate gesture. It's then obviously edited out .......it is isn't it ..edited ou.......ooops :lol:

I guess when putting sound to video these days it is so easy to jog the sound track forwards and backwards to make it fit. The speed doesn't waver either as in the good old days of tape. It's a question of looking right not of being scientifically correct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

losthobos said:
Really impressive differences....way to go...
Now im puzzling how did you sync the digital recording with the movie...
Any help as always gratefully received...

Well most better video apps have ways today to do it manually, where you can tell the app which track is the main audio track, and the others sync to it with a click of a button ot find a visual clue in the file and move a track back and forth. I use Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 20 and that part is quite easy. For this video however, I did it manually because I was fading from one audio track to the other. Basically, I started all recording devices and just played. The first note was my marker. If you are recording acoustically, it is a good idea to insert 2-3 hand claps, this puts in 2-3 peaks in the track and serves as the markers to sync to and then in video editing, just sync and then cut out that small portion of the clip.

The way that Ed does it is even easier, he uses his accordion mics to go to his amp and from the amps signal out, straight to the video camcorder... brilliant idea! Since he is a single instrument, this is a great way to get the sound directly on the video files audio track and there is nothing to sync.

Mine is a more complex way because the output of the accordion and rhythm unit are in stereo and in my recording, I will be adding additional tracks with digital and acoustic instruments in to the clip possibly in the audio track or both audio and video sections to make the video more interesting.

It can start out being all easy, but can quickly get all quite complex if you want it too.

Thats everyone for the thoughts and kind words, it helps to know if I am on the right path or not. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back