• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

FC 300 Pedal Board and the BK7m

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickey Dee

Reaction score
I am using the KORG FC5 pedal to control my BK7m functions like Stop/Start, Fill-In, Variations 1-4, intro and endings. It works fine.  However, the midi cable ends are beginning to wear-out.  I'm thinking about getting the Roland FC 300 pedal board to replace the KORG.  Can the Roland FC 300 be "programed" the same way as my KORG FC5 to control the Bk7m as I have described?   Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Micke Dee

There is no real programming to do, I believe, because both are Roland products.

That said, you DONT need a $600 MIDI pedal to control the start/stop and 4 variations of a BK-7m, as they are not MIDI but simple momentary switches (that Korg switch is also NOT a MIDI pedal!).

I made my own for under $10 as I already had the switches from a previous setup. With some smart shopping and a bit of DIY, you can easily make one from scratch for about $50.

Visit my website HERE to see that story.

Mickey Dee pid=69473 dateline=1579391420 said:
I am using the KORG FC5 pedal to control my BK7m functions like Stop/Start, Fill-In, Variations 1-4, intro and endings. It works fine.  However, the midi cable ends are beginning to wear-out.  Im thinking about getting the Roland FC 300 pedal board to replace the KORG.  Can the Roland FC 300 be programed the same way as my KORG FC5 to control the Bk7m as I have described?   Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Micke Dee

You mean the Korg EC5 pedal? Don’t you need the midi port for your accordion? The 7 pin pedal port on the Bk-7m is not midi. It works as a momentary switch with a common wire. That is all an ec5 is, momentary switches. Yes, you can make your own with proper connector and pin out.
I use EC5 Korg and the Bk-7m during a performance. But I had one for years with my old Korg. Just made up a cable compatible with Roland pin out.
This cable works for ec5 but you need to cut one connector off and wire a compatible connector for the Bk-7m side. Think Roxy music had a video on this?

3m Roland Cable PG MPG Programmers MKS JX GR Synths RRC FC-100 GP-8 16 GM-70 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CQN21L4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_rVhjEbHSXCV7W

Mickey Dee, just to clarify, the cable from the BK-7m to the pedals is not a MIDI cable, its just a standard cable with 8 pins, 7 options and a ground (Start/Stop, Intro, Ending and variations 1-4). I bought a replacement plug for this at a local electronics store for $1.50.

You don't even have to wire them in any specific order (except the ground), as the order of features to pedal switch is programmable. :)

Since I am already using the Yamaha ud-bt01 plugged into device port of Bk-7m for Songbook+ app on iPad, Maybe try the airturn bt200s-6 pedal to make the program change messages happen wirelessly?
On page 90 of the bk-7m user manual shows all the program change messages (pc) for the various style parts. I am already doing this on my Korg pa1000 arranger as in this video. No electronic experience, soldering...just plug and play. See this video how it is done on my Korg (should be the same?), but different PC messages for the Bk-7m. I will try to verify if this works in the next day or so...

I recently connected the Irig Blueboard to the Bk-7m wirelessly. Works great, but need iPad/iPhone, Yamaha ud-bt01 plugged into Bk-7m to connect.
The midiflow app on my iPad needs to be used for Midi mapping To the various Functions on the Bk-7m.

If anyone wants to try Blueboard, I can send midiflow configuration I use. So if you have proper hardware, I will be happy to share.

Just make a new cable. I think I spent $8 on making one. I love the Korg 5-switch pedal. Works great with my FR-8X and BK7M.

I researched the FC-300. Very expensive. It's MIDI. Complex setup. Honestly, too many pedals for me and it's HUGE.

I paid $50 from Amazon for my FC5 and the cable was beyond simple to make.

Attachments

• _DSC6234.JPG
    _DSC6234.JPG
    277.7 KB · Views: 40
Here is my pedal board - Irig Blueboard $100.
wireless...Bluetooth.
As in this demo, but controlling Korg pa1000. Same technique.
Have another pedal setup for the Bk-7m, but locked up at the restaurant I was gigging in. When I get over there, hope to do a video. The good thing about this, I could send the program configuration I have. No need to mess with learning programming techniques.
Although, I agree, the Roland pedal may be more plug and play. But look how compact my system is! A big advantage in my view.

I made the mistake of purchasing the FC-300 to control the BK7M. Don't bother because that pedal was not designed to work with the module. The Roland brochures are very misleading and while you can control a keyboard or your digital accordion it's just not designed for that purpose. I was about to buy the cable for a Korg pedal adapted to work when I found a brand new one on line for a very good price. Leon from Roxie's confirmed that the FC-300 will not work after chasing the manufacturer for many months.

Save yourself the trouble

I made the mistake of purchasing the FC-300 to control the BK7M. Don't bother because that pedal was not designed to work with the module. The Roland brochures are very misleading and while you can control a keyboard or your digital accordion it's just not designed for that purpose. I was about to buy the cable for a Korg pedal adapted to work when I found a brand new one on line for a very good price. Leon from Roxie's confirmed that the FC-300 will not work after chasing the manufacturer for many months.

Save yourself the trouble
If you have an iPad or iPhone you can use the Blueboard as I am doing...

If I were an owner of an fc300. I would make it wireless by adding a Bluetooth le device like Yamaha md-bt01. Then bridge through IPad With the midiflow app. Half of the switches to Send prg messages to bk7m for and other half to the accordion to select upg or a bank. Use songbookplus app to this...even add the expression pedal for accordion orchestral.

There were people that created modules that you could program to make the FC-300 usable with the 8X. I recall reading this in the old 8X forum when it was still an email list under Yahoo. Back then, as I recall rading teh conversations, it was a PITA to get the module and to program it, but some few did manage to get it working really well, then the conversions stopped as suddenly as the conversations and no more was heard, at least nothing more was written about it since then... we're talking perhaps 5 years or so back.

Yes, you can use the FC-300 with the Fr8x however it's a footpedal that can be used to control the accordion registers as well as managing other accordion functions. It doesn't work as a replacement for the FC-7 for use with the BK-7M.

Yes, you can use the FC-300 with the Fr8x however it's a footpedal that can be used to control the accordion registers as well as managing other accordion functions. It doesn't work as a replacement for the FC-7 for use with the BK-7M.
Midi is midi...I would think a fc300 button Can be programmed to send a program change message on particular channel?
I do it with a Blueboard or Airturn bt200s. If not, what is the purpose of fc300? It was not built for just accordions, keyboards Too...

Midi is midi...I would think a fc300 button Can be programmed to send a program change message on particular channel?
I do it with a Blueboard or Airturn bt200s. If not, what is the purpose of fc300? It was not built for just accordions, keyboards Too...
I thought the same however it just didn't work with the Bk7m and that was the whole point. You would think that Roland would ensure that these two devices worked well together without having to reinvent the wheel. The people at the manufacturer weren't able to help and by chance I scored the original Fc7 so I sold the FC-300. I'm not as technical as most of you so I didn't think that it was worth the bother. Just sharing my experience with precisely the topic on this thread and possibly saving someone the same frustration.

I thought the same however it just didn't work with the Bk7m and that was the whole point. You would think that Roland would ensure that these two devices worked well together without having to reinvent the wheel. The people at the manufacturer weren't able to help and by chance I scored the original Fc7 so I sold the FC-300. I'm not as technical as most of you so I didn't think that it was worth the bother. Just sharing my experience with precisely the topic on this thread and possibly saving someone the same frustration.
That is good to know...Roland support is not very technical in nature in the US. They more or less respond what is in the manual...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back