• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Favorite Beginners' Repertoire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fraujoolie

Hi!

I'm a new student, but experienced on piano. I have a primer book from my teacher, but it's very simple and geared towards children. What are some of your favorite technique books, or repertoire for a budding accordionist?

Speaking of such, a fun "sticky" in your Forum might be a list of favorite repertoire, graded/different levels. I belong to a piano teachers' forum, and we have a spreadsheet that all can edit.

Thank you for your suggestions!

There's a topic gathering dust on this forum (somewhere) which does share info on method books etc.

widely available ''you can teach yourself accordion'' mel bay publications. Comes with a CD and a nice wide ranging selection of 'grown up ' tunes including jambalaya, British Grenediers,lake Charles waltz, pretty fair maid jig, for me and my gal, melancholy baby, ode to joy, amazing grace, back to Sorrento two stepping across texas ,skaters waltz aand many more. Also some good stuff on technique.

The main difference between a piano and an accordion is that on a pino its the way you hit the keys that matters but on an aaccordion its the way you take your finger off that is vitally important!

george

A perennial favorite for beginning piano accordions is the Duane Schnur accordion lessons. http://duaneschnur.com/accordion/lessons.htm

For organetto its those by Mario Carbone. http://www.organetto.net/

Both of these methods include tunes of their respective cultures. You may not like them all but they are there, with sounds available at no extra charge.

Good luck, Tom

In the U.S. the Palmer-Hughes series is top-rated by many people. It's a ten-course program, though there are other offerings as well. Though I had lessons 50 years ago, I started with these just recently, and they were already showing the 4-3-2 fingering, as well as the 3-2 method for the bass when the program came out in 1962. I guess everyone has his or her favorite method for learning the accordion. These work for me and many others.

For me it is whatever I had at hand at the time.......so "Roll Of the Eyes"......first off ,That's Amore was mangled in various ways........Then Sous La Ciel de paris....which has never had a public airing and probably never shall...That's Amore got another kicking...Jambalaya ...cos it's about food really ,never mind all that me oh my oh and Cher O' Meo rubbish.....That's Amore took a pasting ....then a couple of Rock and Roll type tunes Round The Clock and Blueberry Hill........in fact
A Blueberry Hill /A Rock Around the Clock Variant was allowed to see the light of day to resounding indifference (probably cos it's crap but no-ones brave enough to say so :lol: ) on the hallowed Tune of The Month pages ...but I digress....I take mese'n not a bit seriously .....the music I do ...not that some might believe that .......but I play what I like and I play a bit odd....auto didactic as well .....oh and I had a real bash at That's Amore ? too.......in fact it may be ready for another outing ....Oh though I promised not to !!

Hey Jarvo,

Have you ever played "That's Amore"?

Tom

Well....you know ? ....I think I may have ....But not as you'd know it ...not as you'd know it :lol:

CJ

jarvo said:
Well....you know ? ....I think I may have ....But not as youd know it ...not as youd know it :lol:

CJ

Yes, I sure you did...

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

I started with Ivor Beynon's accordion book for beginners, and abandoned it less than halfway through because I didn't like the tunes. So, you need to find a book with the kind of music you want to play later on - just made easy. I moved on to Irish Piano Accordion, which is not an instruction book at all, but I just read the notation & figured things out from there. For the left hand, The Mighty Accordion by David diGiuseppe is really useful.

george garside said:
The main difference between a piano and an accordion is that on a piano its the way you hit the keys that matters but on an aaccordion its the way you take your finger off that is vitally important!

george

George

As a lifelong pianist/organist, but a relative newcomer to the accordion (9 months) this really set me thinking about my technique. I'm sure it would help me (and maybe others) if you could expand on this a little (maybe in a new thread).

Chris

Chris. I did just that in a posting on 7 January , it will come up under 'bellows''!!!!

george

Try listening to Spiers and Boden. You can play most of their music on a 12 bass. Simple, catchy tunes. You have to play by ear though. They are what got me started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back