• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Excelsior 48 Bass MM Chinese or Italian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilacLeaf

Reaction score

[font=georgia, serif]I am considering buying a used 48 bass Excelsior PA tuned MM with a switch to turn off one reed. I think this may be a model 301, maybe 301 e or ee, but Im not sure I have only seen pictures so far. I have heard that these are Chinese. I have looked and looked and can find no confirmation either way on this. I will guess that the box will say, although even this isnt always accurate from what I have read here. Anyone know?

Thanks~

[/font]

[font=garamond, times new roman, serif][font=georgia, serif]Heres a song of mine that may create a spark...

The Way She Smiles~

Music is a torch with which to see where beauty lies

~Atahualpa Yupanqui[/font][/font]

Attachments

• 86171351_10156788783755877_6408259551170134016_n.jpg
    86171351_10156788783755877_6408259551170134016_n.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 91
Don't know about the accordion but I really enjoyed the recording.
Thanks.

Thanks Richard!

Is there any likelihood that it is a mix of parts, ie assembled in China, but with some Italian parts, but maybe Chinese reeds? I will need to drive a couple hours out of my way to see this. They don't know anything about accordions, was bought by their grandfather 6 years ago and barely played and seems to have been stored properly from what they tell me. They want $450 for it, which if it is Italian reeds and all seems like a great price to me, likely $1200 or more new I would think? If it all checks out it's a great size for my current needs.

Hey Peter,

Cool song, I liked it.

So, ok, seems like Excelsiors started off being made in the US, then after a while made in Italy. Whether "this particular " accordion was made from Italian reeds and parts is impossible to discern from an internet offering. $450 seems good if the accordion is in perfect playing shape with good sound, otherwise a little high. If it's really what you are looking for, worth a trip to check it out.

I hope it works out for you. PS, I live right down the road from Vie-roqua.......

Hi Tom, Where's home for you? Thanks for the advice... They are open to offers. I'm gonna call them today and listen over the phone for however much that will help. I know tuning and repairs can get expensive fast! I can do a little myself.

PM coming.....

LilacLeaf said:
[font=georgia, serif]I am considering buying a used 48 bass Excelsior PA tuned MM with a switch to turn off one reed. I think this may be a model 301, maybe 301 e or ee, but I'm not sure I have only seen pictures so far. I have heard that these are Chinese. I have looked and looked and can find no confirmation either way on this. I will guess that the box will say, although even this isn't always accurate from what I have read here. Anyone know?
...[/font]
This accordion looks old enough to still be a real Excelsior. (The brand was bought by Pigini around the year 2000.)
Almost every accordion comes with a stamp that "says" where it is made. This stamp or label has absolutely no meaning. There are no worldwide global laws that require a "made in..." label to be truthful. Excelsior used to be a good Italian accordion manufacturer. Testimony to this is that they produced the Hohner Morino N and S series. All these accordions have a "made in Germany" stamp. Maybe the stamp was made in Germany. The rest of the accordions wasn't.

dunlustin said:
Don't know about the accordion but I really enjoyed the recording.
Thanks.

debra said:
LilacLeaf said:
[font=georgia, serif]I am considering buying a used 48 bass Excelsior PA tuned MM with a switch to turn off one reed. I think this may be a model 301, maybe 301 e or ee, but I'm not sure I have only seen pictures so far. I have heard that these are Chinese. I have looked and looked and can find no confirmation either way on this. I will guess that the box will say, although even this isn't always accurate from what I have read here. Anyone know?
...[/font]
This accordion looks old enough to still be a real Excelsior. (The brand was bought by Pigini around the year 2000.)
Almost every accordion comes with a stamp that "says" where it is made. This stamp or label has absolutely no meaning. There are no worldwide global laws that require a "made in..." label to be truthful. Excelsior used to be a good Italian accordion manufacturer. Testimony to this is that they produced the Hohner Morino N and S series. All these accordions have a "made in Germany" stamp. Maybe the stamp was made in Germany. The rest of the accordions wasn't.
Thank you Paul. I'm buying it sight unseen. I'm getting it for $350, and was able to have the owner play it over the phone, which I was able to tell that the tuning is right on or very close to concert pitch, it's in tune with itself, and seems to be even. Strange in a way that Excelsior saus they haven't made this model for 25-30 years, and it looks brand new. I know the current owners hardly played it, but have only had it for 7 years or so. Maybe it sat in a shop for a long time. We'll see!

Not sure of manufacturer,  but not a product made by original Excelsior or Pigini.
One of the many Rip-offs made over the years.

JIM D. said:
Not sure of manufacturer,  but not a product  made by original Excelsior or Pigini.
One of the many Rip-offs made over the years.

Hi Jim,

Can you say what makes you so sure? Others have said they think it is authentic based on certain design details.

Thanks,

Peter.

Here's a few more pics that may help figuring out if this is authentic or not.
88173957_10156788783500877_8492589570553020416_n.jpg88253646_10156788783575877_2438610975297896448_n.jpg88321422_10156788783535877_2735461256323399680_n.jpg

LilacLeaf said:
Here's a few more pics that may help figuring out if his is authentic or not.

Italian made ,(could even be German) but not Excelsior or Pigini.
Just a student model box with an Excelsior tag on it.
This box is not in any Excelsior or Pigini lists.
All student model Excelsior's had the Accordiana badge not Excelsior

LilacLeaf said:
Thank you Paul. I'm buying it sight unseen. I'm getting it for $350, and was able to have the owner play it over the phone, which I was able to tell that the tuning is right on or very close to concert pitch, it's in tune with itself, and seems to be even. Strange in a way that Excelsior saus they haven't made this model for 25-30 years, and it looks brand new. I know the current owners hardly played it, but have only had it for 7 years or so. Maybe it sat in a shop for a long time. We'll see!

Excelsior hasn't made anything for 20 years as they were bought by Pigini. But also before such small student accordions were certainly not always built in the "main outfit" of the brand. I still have a small 40 bass Crucianelli from the 60s which has a lot of similarity with the one shown here (which is 48  bass), including the registers. An old repair guy who taught me the first basics told me he once visited a workshop (in or near Castelfidardo) where they were building student models with several different brand names, including even Hohner. This "Excelsior" could have been built is such a workshop, in which case Excelsior commissioned these accordions. They are of reasonable quality but to keep cost down you can find evidence of cutting corners. My Crucianelli for instance has the bass reed blocks glued in, making it hard to work on them. In any case these student accordions are likely to be still better than brand new Chinese or Norh-Korean ones.

Here's a few more pics that may help figuring out if this is authentic or not.
88173957_10156788783500877_8492589570553020416_n.jpg88253646_10156788783575877_2438610975297896448_n.jpg88321422_10156788783535877_2735461256323399680_n.jpg
Hi there, Congratulations on your purchase. It's a great looking accordion and if it's in good working condition you should be pleased. You paid $350 which is not exorbitant so it seems like a fair price. Accordion manufacturers, just like all other manufacturers need to cooperate with each other in order to keep their products available for a price that musicians can afford. I would not spend too much time trying to determine the exact provenance of the accordion since it doesn't change anything. Your price seems to be reasonable and it plays well enough so just enjoy it.

You're braver than most to take the leap of faith but it turned out well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back