• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Equivalent of FR-8x “D” mode in FR-4x?

Alan Sharkis

Reaction score
RIs there an equivalent of “D” mode in the FR-8x (left hand Stradella chords transmit only root note via MIDI) for the FR4x? If so, how do I get to it? 

Thanks.

Alan Sharkis

Alan Sharkis

Reaction score
Alan Sharkis said:
RIs there an equivalent of “D” mode in the FR-8x (left hand Stradella chords transmit only root note via MIDI) for the FR4x? If so, how do I get to it? 

Thanks.

Alan Sharkis
OK, I will answer my own question.

I was looking in the wrong place in the FR-4x reference manual.  Greg Volovic over at the FR-4x group at groups.io found the page for me.  The "D" mode is described in the manual at Midi -> Global section -> chords.  I explained that I wanted to have the 4x enter music in a notation program (AAA notation) in real time, and that's why I needed to access the "D" mode.  

However, the midi note-on messages transmitted from "D" mode wind up in four different octaves: major chord buttons transmit that root note as midi note-on numbers  48-59; minors from 60-71; sevenths from 72-83; and diminished from 84-95. Greg said to make sure that my notation programs can pre-process midi input so that all the chord root notes  wind up in the same octave in bass clef. It turned out that they can't, BUT I have a MIDI Solutions Event Processor Plus in the midi daisy-chain that I can program to do the job.

For those of you unfamiliar with this device, it's a little box with a standard midi 5-pin female at each end. It takes its power from the midi daisy-chain. You program it with what looks like a text editor, available at the MIDI Solutions website, but there's also a way of entering the required data with a little window that has choices for all the available parameters and values into the required text. The program is then saved to non-volatile memory in the device.  Believe me when I say, "non-volatile." I bought the device years ago to filter out a constant stream of volume messages when I was using a SEM Ciao reedless.  That one-line program is still in the Event Processor Plus memory, after several disconnect-reconnect cycles each time I changed computer systems. Once the notes have been entered, I can go back and enter the "M," "m," "7," and "d" symbols as text above the appropriate notes. 

By the way, the Roland FR-4x group and a general Roland V-accordion group at groups.io have taken over for the similar groups that once were at Yahoo groups. If we add the groups, such as this one at The Accordionists Forum, and the GR8 Ideas and other groups on Facebook, we have more than enough sources of information to keep our digital accordion users satisfied for years to come.