• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Effective miking??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds kinda nice, but for my taste the deepest bass is way too loud. It's all a matter of tone balance adjustment.
I prefer when an accordion at least sounds a bit like an accordion... A little bass boost is often beneficial, but this is a bit much.

Sounds a lot like Hammond organ?
He's an excellent accordionist and I have seen a number of different videos where he plays various accordions. These instruments are tuned differently and that accounts for the unique sound. I like it quite a lot and Mr Jankowiak does a great job in various styles. It's a matter of taste and I really like a strong deeper base as it sets the stage for the rest of the musical piece. Much like our preferences for food or drink or the opposite sex, it's our choice and we're all a little different.

He's an excellent accordionist and I have seen a number of different videos where he plays various accordions. These instruments are tuned differently and that accounts for the unique sound. I like it quite a lot and Mr Jankowiak does a great job in various styles. It's a matter of taste and I really like a strong deeper base as it sets the stage for the rest of the musical piece. Much like our preferences for food or drink or the opposite sex, it's our choice and we're all a little different.
I like mine with a nice bass.

I like mine with a nice bass.
I like a "nice bass" as well, but it seems that in many recordings the player (or technician) is expecting the listener to have speakers or headphones with a very weak bass sound, so a lot of bass boost is then applied to compensate. Whenever I make a recording I check the treble/bass balance using two sets of speakers and two pairs of headphones in order to find a reasonable compromise.

Reactions: Tom
ages ago... before MIDI reached the Accordion world, i gigged
with Chordovox... even had 2 of them so i could leave one setup
on site... problem was not every Gig could accommodate an Organ Accordion

so where i had to still be Loud and cut through an amplified Sound Mix
i built some special circuitry to tailor the Bass sound of my Mic'd accordions

the Mic for the Bass was located in the outer chamber with a Volume control
and 1/4" jack mounted in the button plate... the Wire then went to a
simple transistor circuit (out of the electronics magazine, designed for Electric
Bass players) which seriously stripped all the higher frequencies out of the signal,
then hugely boosted and rounded the frequencies below about 400 Hertz or so

the result was a very nice, very round and warm acoustic accordion Bass sound that
could cut through a mix with definition and without muddying up the other accordion
frequencies

this was tailored to live, real time, real loud 3 or 4 piece band performance where
there was no Bass except for my left hand

i explain this because there are ways to get a huge Bass sound without it being
overbearing, but you do have to be careful about it and work on it a lot to get it right

it would be much easier to accomplish this today, as FX pedals like graphic and shelving
Equalizers and Bass Boosters and Octavers and such are matured technology and readily
available to Guitarists and therefore available to accordionists also, and you all have
read the threads about using a Mic element like the Shure brand Silver Bullet
(which i used in that setup and still use to this day) plus we have stereo Wireless now

i might add that i had also built a special outboard Speaker cabinet with a
15" JBL E-140 and rolled it everywhere i took my PA system...

still have that too and it still sounds great

just flipping the overall Bass or loudness curve up on some generic Accordion Mics
without first trimming and channeling the sound can be done,
but may not translate very well through the kinds of speakers most
listeners have available today

in my time, the object was always to craft your sound and tone to exactly
what you wanted people to hear, then let the interface do nothing but
make it louder

he's probably sitting in a corner - the way only his low bass gets amplified

should move a bit farther from the wall to compensate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back