• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Easy jazz sheet music

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mr T

Hi guys

Can anyone recommend a good book (or other resource) of easy jazz pieces?

Thanks v much :)

How easy are we talking here? Are you a total beginner or a pianist already? There are some good arrangements of standards by Frank Marocco, but they're not exactly for complete beginners though not outrageously difficult either.

Good question Mr T.
Are you at the level yet where you can break out from the strtaight jacket of maj, min, 7th and dim?
To get a convincing jazz sound you will need to master at least the m7.
I will put my thinking capo on and see what i find that is at a jazz player beginning level.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies

In terms of accordion playing I am pretty much an absolute beginner - six months in - so still using the maj,min, 7, dim buttons. However, I am a long serving trombone & guitar player so I do at least know what the other chords, Maj7, min7 etc. sound like and how they are formed.

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

MT.

Hi again everyone and thank you for the replies, this is a friendly and helpful forum :D

I will decline the invitation to define jazz as I am sure that better people than me have tried, written entire theses, and failed. Suffice it to say that if I could play a serviceable rendition of 'A Nightingale Sang in Berkley Square' or 'I loves you Porgy' then I would die happy.

101 Jazz and Blues Hits for Buskers seems up the right street - thank you for that. Is it arranged for accordion or do you have to construct the chords yourself?

Thanks again

The "101.....Buskers” series is good because they have good chord sequences without going to deep, and they’re well laid out with many books to choose from. You do have to work out your own arrangement from the melody line and chord symbols.

Mr T said:
Hi again everyone and thank you for the replies, this is a friendly and helpful forum :D

I will decline the invitation to define jazz as I am sure that better people than me have tried, written entire theses, and failed. Suffice it to say that if I could play a serviceable rendition of A Nightingale Sang in Berkley Square or I loves you Porgy then I would die happy.

101 Jazz and Blues Hits for Buskers seems up the right street - thank you for that. Is it arranged for accordion or do you have to construct the chords yourself?

Thanks again

According to the cover, 101 Hits is the piano/organ edition with guitar chords. Its the kind of jazz I like (there is a lot of jazz that I respect but find painful). Ive just scanned the contents page for more detail.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/Anyanka_J/101Hits001_zps7384a920.jpg[/img][/url]

Sources I use are keyboard books which come with melody line and chords also chord shapes
Easiest piano series are also good

Easy guitar books which include basic jazz or blues which come with melody line lyrics and chords

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back