• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

E. Soprani

godgi

Reaction score
The accordion as an instrument if we take both piano and chromatic I am not sure about diatonic is virtually dead as I perceive it. It's down to small niches particularly outside eastern Europe.
Some of this is down to ignorance of the instrument within the high end musical classes another is that this ignorance also protects them from competition from the instrument for students etc which is their livelihood. I think I have come across this recently. Eg why should we let accordion into our academy we are fine without it and anyway it's an instrument which is looked down upon by classical music academics particularly I think in certain countries. My own included.
Godgi

Scuromondo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
The accordion as an instrument if we take both piano and chromatic I am not sure about diatonic is virtually dead as I perceive it. It's down to small niches particularly outside eastern Europe.
Some of this is down to ignorance of the instrument within the high end musical classes another is that this ignorance also protects them from competition from the instrument for students etc which is their livelihood. I think I have come across this recently. Eg why should we let accordion into our academy we are fine without it and anyway it's an instrument which is looked down upon by classical music academics particularly I think in certain countries. My own included.
Godgi
While the accordion does not enjoy widespread popularity, I am not sure I agree that it is “virtually dead.” Ironically, it may be the Chinese who are helping to keep it alive. My understanding is that there are more accordion players in China than anywhere else in the world. Those players may mostly consume the cheap, substandard accordions being produced in their own country, but as they become better players, it stands to reason that many of them will want to acquire a better instrument from a European manufacturer.

Ffingers

Reaction score
Someone once built a whole philosophy on the idea that nothing is as constant as change.
The world is a changing place: we need to live with it!🙂
Might I add a favourite of mine to yours: "The Price of Progress is the Pain of Change."
Which presents a problem in a world where 'Cheapest' "Price" is striven for, "Pain" is avoided at all cost, and "Change" is more feared than death by Covid 19, variation ***.
WHich is why, of course we 'westerners' have such reactionary governments.

Alan Sharkis

Reaction score
Your 1st option may be banned soon as the EU is tightening rules about Chinese investments in the. EU. Presently in synopsis EU competition does not allow state aided EU companies to buy out internal EU companies why would it allow Chinese state aided companies do it. It makes no sense.
Godgi
Good to know about rhe upcoming ban. Should that happen, I guess the pattern would be for traditional companies to continue to merge with each other to survive financially, but there’s a limit to that.

godgi

Reaction score
sorry alan the thread went further that i anticipated in illuminating the topic. at least it generated some interest. bringing up a quasi political topics is risky and naturally i wanted to avoid. but i feel there is pent up concern all around out there about china and it political behavior. and long-term where it might end up.
thanks for your balanced input.
John

Alan Sharkis

Reaction score
Thanks for ending the thread. I would have been out of my depth if it continued. Meantime, I have to tell you, if you haven’t already discovered it, that threads tend to meander way off the original topic. That’s true here, and elsewhere as well.