• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Don't get around much anymore....

M

maugein96

Guest
losthobos pid=71277 dateline=1586934408 said:
Ellingtons Dont get around much anymore.... But then i guess who does these days.. 
Tried asca shuffle rather than a swing.. 
Got plenty time for experimenting of late
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KxLwNdiaB4MKfCEX9

Terry,

Getting better all the time. 

Im just looking for a title called Dont get around at all anymore, as my car battery died on Monday after weeks of the car sitting on the drive. Couldnt ask the neighbours for a jump start in the current situation, so had to call out a recovery man. 

A £60 fine for a non essential journey to charge a car battery could be on the cards for quite a few of us. It really is getting difficult. First thing Im going to buy when I get a chance is a portable jump starter. Used to have one when I lived in the sticks. Now everybody with a car needs one. You get thinking, Do I really need a car, an accordion, a garden, or a wife in isolation on medical grounds?. If this goes on much longer I might just need to get rid of the lot. Mind you, getting rid of the accordions would be a sad day, and Im not sure if I could go through with that one! 

Keep cheering us up, and I wish I could remember the names of those tunes you play. 

I instantly recognised the tune, but the battery in my brain would have been well flat by the time I remembered the name of it.
 

Dingo40

Been here for ages!
Joined
Nov 27, 2017
Messages
2,023
Reaction score
557
Location
South Australia
John,

In some Australian states a fine for unjustified travel is in excess of A$1,000 (£505.69 stg).

 A mother/daughter couple were fined A$1,600 for undertaking learner driver practice (later quashed on appeal)

Fortunately, where I live, if a business offers any legitimate  goods or services you may travel there to avail yourself of the opportunity! :)

A guy was gaoled, today, for serial sneaking out of quarantine in order to visit his girlfriend (sentenced to 40 days out of 6.5 months)  :p
 

Tom

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Joined
May 1, 2013
Messages
1,954
Reaction score
379
Location
USA
Hey John, I suggest a "trickle charger" for your car battery in these trying times. I've got a couple and they're not expensive, keep your car (and other machines) charged up when not in use. Don't know if you can get one for your head........or if you can go to the store to get one,we have Amazon here.....
 

losthobos

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Joined
Oct 6, 2014
Messages
1,329
Reaction score
349
Location
Essex UK
As it goes I'm using this lockdown to recharge my batteries.... I wouldn't worry about trying to remember the name John, Ellington wrote it as Never No Lament, was recorded as Don't get around much anymore but probably requested most as Missed the Saturday dance...
Lifes a muddle huh
 
M

maugein96

Guest
Dingo40 said:
John,

In some Australian states a fine for unjustified travel is in excess of A$1,000 (£505.69 stg).

 A mother/daughter couple were fined A$1,600 for undertaking learner driver practice (later quashed on appeal)

Fortunately, where I live, if a business offers any legitimate  goods or services you may travel there to avail yourself of the opportunity! :)

A guy was gaoled, today, for serial sneaking out of quarantine in order to visit his girlfriend (sentenced to 40 days out of 6.5 months)  :p

Dingo,

Fines such as you mention would just never get off the ground here.

In recent times the effectiveness of the police in most of western Europe, particularly in the UK and other "soft" regimes, has dwindled away to the point where they are only effective in certain sets of moral circumstances, where the majority of the population are in agreement with their actions and policies. The other 95% of their work is not understood by a public who generally regard them as ruthless aggressors. I bashed my head off brick walls almost daily in the 30 years that I tried to serve the public, and wouldn't like to be a modern "police state trooper", which the current lockdown rules are asking of them. 

40 days here would be automatically reduced to 20 days, and depending on how busy the prison was, they might release him earlier than that, on the basis that the room was needed for more serious offenders, like an ex-copper refusing to pay a £60 fine for unlawfully driving on the highway to recharge his car battery!

The virus has the potential to turn the whole world into criminals, but they'll need to retain all those temporary hospitals as prisons. "Matron, there's a man climbing out of the window!" "That's OK, tell the court we have a vacancy now for the guy who was caught with three toilet rolls in his car. He'll still have at least 6 hours of his sentence to serve, and don't bother to fix that window, as the cops are holding another 3224 people who are still waiting to come and do their time!"


Tom said:
Hey John, I suggest a "trickle charger" for your car battery in these trying times.  I've got a couple and they're not expensive, keep your car (and other machines) charged up when not in use.  Don't know if you can get one for your head........or if you can go to the store to get one,we have Amazon here.....

Tom,

The mighty EU (whom we must still obey at present) threatened to close Amazon Europe down because they mainly deal in non essential goods. 

Amazon had to place an order priority system in place in order to stop them snarling at them. Dog food gets shipped immediately. A new chair might take a week or more. 

The issue was complaints from Amazon workforce that their safety was being compromised. 80% pay for a few weeks holiday is something that a lot of people want a chunk of, and you can't really blame them. 

I bought one of those new fangled portable jump starters that you carry in the car with you (after charging it up), and it reportedly will start a low battery up to 20 times. It will be delivered from a store three miles away on Monday. I have used trickle chargers in the past, but the hassle of removing and replacing the car battery has no real appeal any more these days.

My head just needs a bump start every now and then. You might not be familiar with that in the US unless you use stick shift with a manual clutch. Switch ignition on, depress clutch, select 2nd gear, commission a team of "pushers" or head down an incline. Once you get up to about 20mph let the clutch pedal up sharpish, and bang, away you go. Success rate is variable, and some mechanical damage is inevitable, but it looks impressive if it works. Experts like me can also manage it in reverse. However, my Hungarian built Suzuki, with its Italian Fiat engine, has a push button start, so I don't think a bump start is an option, as you probably cannot keep the ignition active without a key.
 
M

maugein96

Guest
Dingo40 said:
John,
Very informative! :)
(This guy's head sentence was 6.5 months)

Hi Dingo,

If that was 40 actual days out of 6.5 months then it seems your system will be about the same as ours. About as effective as half an aspirin in a 50 gallon drum of water!

The UK has one of the most lax legal systems in the world, yet some people still think it's too much of an impingement on their freedom and human rights. Our citizens have a culture of refusing to be "told" what to do, and even "asking" them to do something is regarded as oppressive, especially if the asker is wearing a uniform of any kind to denote they are providing a service to the public.  

I was never as glad to throw my uniform on the fire 16 years ago, as trying to maintain full 2% efficiency for 30 years takes its toll on you.
 

Dingo40

Been here for ages!
Joined
Nov 27, 2017
Messages
2,023
Reaction score
557
Location
South Australia
John,
Here, there's a problem with serious assaults on all kinds of front line public service staff from paramedics, nurses, doctors, bus drivers, taxi drivers, even police officers . Deaths have resulted. :(

Both Australia and NZ are having so much difficulty recruiting constabulary locally (word spreads) that they've had to resort to overseas recruits.

Consequently, there are many British Bobbies Down Under, and excellent policemen (and women) they are too! :)

There are several police shows on TV showing police on their daily round. All I can say, thing have certainly changed since I was a boy! :-/

There's one US show, however (Cops), which strongly suggests the police (in some jurisdictions at least) may have the upper hand.

Of course, a mandatory 5 year sentence for resisting arrest may have something to do with that ! :huh:
 
M

maugein96

Guest
Dingo40 said:
John,
Here, there's a problem with serious assaults on all kinds of front line public service staff from paramedics, nurses, doctors, bus drivers, taxi drivers, even police officers . Deaths have resulted. :(

Both Australia and NZ are having so much difficulty recruiting constabulary locally (word spreads) that they've had to resort to overseas recruits.

Consequently, there are many British Bobbies Down Under, and excellent policemen (and women) they are too! :)

There are several police shows on TV showing police on their daily round. All I can say, thing have certainly changed since I was a boy! :-/

There's one US show, however (Cops), which strongly suggests the police (in some jurisdictions at least) may have the upper hand.

Of course, a mandatory 5 year sentence for resisting arrest may have something to do with that ! :huh:

Dingo,

Many years ago we had some Belgian officers who accompanied us on our duties (in Belgian police uniform minus guns). They almost all expressed disbelief in the leniency we had to show rowdy drunks on the street at weekends, and the verbal abuse we were required to tolerate. 

The officers from our force who subsequently went to Belgium were full of admiration for the way they were able to deal with such similar situations, on the rare occasions when they took place. 

Times have changed, and perhaps things are now different in Belgium than they once were. 

I had seen some documentaries about UK cops in Australia. No thanks, it wouldn't have been for me.
 

Similar threads

Top