• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Does this grill badge ring a bell?

cass

Reaction score
Hello everyone, a friend has kindly loaned me a beater accordion so that I may learn maintenance and repair on it. The only markings on the case are "16 of 81 Made in Italy" and the badge. I am guessing it is a child's instrument as the keyboard is 13 inches, has 34 keys and the keys are 5/8 inch. It has 111 bass keys. It appears to be intact but in need of a bath and some maintenance. Just wanted to post this in case I am learning on the world's most rare accordion (don't I wish).

thanks,
cass

image0.jpeg

WOW, it's been found, the famous lost accordion of Stradavarious! He made exactly 81 of them in his life and each are worth about 85 million US dollars!!!

Just kidding... LOL

I don't know the brand based on this pic alone... if I had to offer a wild guess, I would suspect a Russian or Czech design, but that is like me showing you the lugnut of a car and asking you to identify it... lol

In any case, I think you are safe to play with the practice maintenance. :)

WOW, it's been found, the famous lost accordion of Stradavarious! He made exactly 81 of them in his life and each are worth about 85 million US dollars!!!

Just kidding... LOL

I don't know the brand based on this pic alone... if I had to offer a wild guess, I would suspect a Russian or Czech design, but that is like me showing you the lugnut of a car and asking you to identify it... lol

thanks, Jerry. I'm quitting the day job. I figured somebody would come up with something like that. happy to provide the straight line. I didn't post any other pictures as it looks like a garden variety blonde accordion only a bit smaller. Looks a lot like a blonde Crucianelli I have. Oh, well. back to combing through the haystack for my lost needle.
thanks,
cass

Hello everyone, a friend has kindly loaned me a beater accordion so that I may learn maintenance and repair on it. The only markings on the case are "16 of 81 Made in Italy" and the badge. I am guessing it is a child's instrument as the keyboard is 13 inches, has 34 keys and the keys are 5/8 inch. It has 111 bass keys. It appears to be intact but in need of a bath and some maintenance. Just wanted to post this in case I am learning on the world's most rare accordion (don't I wish).

thanks,
cass

image0.jpeg

How about this way up?

Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 3.16.23 pm.png

Just kidding... LOL

No problem — it’s a lugnut😉

Wow! That would be it. Could be that somebody hijacked the emblem but best lead i have gotten. I will research other frontalini instruments to look for similarities. I have previously posted that i believe it to be a child‘s accordion given its overall small size and key width. However, it seems to me to be quite well made. Judging from its appearance, it has had a rough life, dropped at least once, maybe played in bars, perhaps even has had a beer. I have been slowly disassembling it and will begin the rebuilding phase when i get leathers and other parts. It would appear that Ffingers WAS RIGHT. I had the logo upside down in the photo. It is all new to me and has been a fun ride so far. As i learn a bit on this one, i am able to do a little more on the other three entrusted to my custody. Thanks to all. I will be asking more questions and posting on progress.

Wow! That would be it. Could be that somebody hijacked the emblem but best lead i have gotten. I will research other frontalini instruments to look for similarities. I have previously posted that i believe it to be a child‘s accordion given its overall small size and key width. However, it seems to me to be quite well made. Judging from its appearance, it has had a rough life, dropped at least once, maybe played in bars, perhaps even has had a beer. I have been slowly disassembling it and will begin the rebuilding phase when i get leathers and other parts. It would appear that Ffingers WAS RIGHT. I had the logo upside down in the photo. It is all new to me and has been a fun ride so far. As i learn a bit on this one, i am able to do a little more on the other three entrusted to my custody. Thanks to all. I will be asking more questions and posting on progress.
Ask away! There is a real mine of information on this forum and anyone will gladly help where they can. I personally have a soft spot for Frontalini accordions - I own three! They're all 1930s, and the build quality and attention to detail is very good indeed, particularly in the two that are higer level instruments. Plus, one of them is in absolutely terrible condition (smelly, dirty and falling apart) but it still plays well and sounds wonderful. I don't know an awful lot about the company, but from what I do know, their instruments are very nice! It would be interesting to see yours, I guess it's one of the models with squared off buttons?

Hello squeezebox. I have posted a couple other shots on my "come unglued" thread. Here is another of the bass mechanism when it was in place. I found another thread on this forum on frontalini bass mechanisms from January 2023. mechanism appears to be the same so I think you nailed the ID of the box. One additional thing I noticed is that there are 111 bass buttons in a rectangular pattern. I think this is a bit unusual.
IMG_0722.jpg

a little brown mouse just popped up on Craigslist Pittsburgh PA area

just in case one of you Frontalini fans need another one

Oooh, I've never seen a 3 row, 16 bass Frontalini. They must be a lot more uncommon than their 21/8 cousins. If it wasn't for the fact that it's a zillion miles away, I might be tempted.

Back