• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Does anyone here use the "D-mode" on their Roland in combination with a DAW or notation program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Sharkis

Reaction score
I've been playing around with the idea of using "D-mode" in a couple of applications. For those of you that don't know what that is, it's a setting that lets the accordion transmit a midi message for a single note (root) instead of a triad when a chord button is pressed. As I understand it, major chords place the root of the chord on the staff in the notation window of DAWs and notation programs where AAA notation would normally put them.

But there's a hitch. D-mode has the transmitted root note of minor triads one octave above those of major chords; sevenths two octaves above the majors; and, diminished three octaves above the majors. Now, I know that Cubase on the Windows platform and Logic Pro X on the Mac platform can be set up to automatically bring the minor, seventh and diminished root notes back on to their usual places on the staff, but I don't know about any other DAWs, and I don't know that any notation program can be set up to automatically put those root notes into the proper octave on the staff. Can someone here who has experience with another DAW or a notation program that can be set up to remap MIDI note-on numbers on-the-fly let me know which DAW or notation program can do it?

Thanks.
Alan Sharkis

(By the way, I know that a MIDI Solutions Event Processor or Event Processor Plus can be programmed to do this job, but not everyone has one of these devices.)

If the idea is just to easily input notation, couldn't you just play the major chord button whenever you wanted a chord of any quality? Just to get the right note in the right spot?

That's basically what I do, although I input using an electronic piano rather than an accoridon. I just play a key in one particular octave to get the note I want on the staff, whether it's a major chord, minor chord, or whatever. (Then I manually type in the M/m/7/d)

Or does your software automatically put the little M/m/7/d on there too, based on the chord button you're playing? (That would be cool!)

If the idea is just to easily input notation, couldn't you just play the major chord button whenever you wanted a chord of any quality? Just to get the right note in the right spot?

That's basically what I do, although I input using an electronic piano rather than an accoridon. I just play a key in one particular octave to get the note I want on the staff, whether it's a major chord, minor chord, or whatever. (Then I manually type in the M/m/7/d)

Or does your software automatically put the little M/m/7/d on there too, based on the chord button you're playing? (That would be cool!)
My goal is to notate as I play, not that I’m such a great player. I’m sure that better players have been toying with this concept. Sure, if I want to just sit down and notate without playing, I’d do what you do. I’m sure you find it as laborious as I. But if somebody wants to notate as they play, and they’re using D- mode to send just the roots of the chords, and then remapping the resulting notes into the appropriate octave, their software wouldn’t be able to distinguish what type of chord the resulting note represents. So, the M/m/7/d would still have to be entered by hand.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back