• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Does anyone have tips on learning free bass?

oldbayan

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like challenge I would like to take, just for the kick of it! 

I saw some videos on Youtube but they are mostly from PA players who just discovered the C or B-griff layouts on the bass side!

Use CBA tutor R hand lessons on the L hand.
Use beginner piano books
Get/look at a button chart to find arpeggio/chord patterns - eg from D to D7 just add a button on the same line - df#a then c.
I'm sure you know this is a moveable pattern.
Look at a chord progression using just 2 notes from the chord on L hand
eg: part of Domino goes Em D D7 Am B7 Em
In C system you can do: eg, f#a, f#c, ac, bf#, egb with not much movement - don't suppose B system is much different.
Lars Holm produced some useful books aimed at youngsters - not cheap or easy to find.
Given you have the choice (ie on a 1XB) you might want to consider bass to high going floor to sky (bayan) or even the quint option.
I made a start with this but kept getting lost without marked buttons - was too cautious to swap the tops as others had had trouble getting them lined up again.
Hope this helps.

You can Google for the Mogens Ellegaard Comprehensive method for free bass accordion C-system. 
It's online on the web.

I'd love to see some videos of your progress if you're up for sharing. I sold my freebass box because it was just too heavy.

Well I don't intend to become an expert! I see some people playing the left hand as a second instrument! Not my ambition.

There are a few english methods. Try Deffner publishers,they Have some intro methods for free bass.

Ben, yes, I am thinking about that.
When I asked my teacher about free bass, she said I was the first student in 30 years to ask for that.
But I need to find someone who is willing to give private lessons on a C system and free bass, half of the teachers here do B system, and most do not offer private lessons. The alternative is to wait until september. In the mean time I try to study from the Ellegaard / Holm books on my own.

Online teacher perhaps?

Hm, I'd like a physical person, call me old fashioned.
Understood, and I don't blame you one bit. Just harder to find, not that finding a suitable online teacher is easy either. If you are really lucky, you will befriend a more experienced player who will explain free bass to you (even if online), as I have been fortunate to experience.

I prefer a real life teacher too. I found it works OK though to have a few lessons in real life then subsequent ones with the same teacher online as you then at least have a rapport. I found someone whose performance I liked and then just wrote to them and asked if they'd mind give a beginner a lesson. I've always found accordionists very friendly and even top players more than happy to help a novice and be really generous with their time.

Stretta Music has a selection of free bass method books. The ones for kids were just right for me.

Since I just switched from C-system to B-system (Bayan), I have some study material for free bass C-system :
Lars Holm Music-Box 1 & 2, new, never used, for 20 Euro plus shipping.
I'll include Mogens Ellegaard's Comprehensive method for the chromatic free bass system (printed from pdf) and
Margot Eisenmann Akkordeon Schulwerk Band 1A (with fingerings annotated by my previous teacher).

Since I just switched from C-system to B-system (Bayan), I have some study material for free bass C-system :
Lars Holm Music-Box 1 & 2, new, never used, for 20 Euro plus shipping.
I'll include Mogens Ellegaard's Comprehensive method for the chromatic free bass system (printed from pdf) and
Margot Eisenmann Akkordeon Schulwerk Band 1A (with fingerings annotated by my previous teacher).
I might be interested! Let me talk to my teacher. Would you ship to the UK?

Back