• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Different strokes for different folks!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, you come up with some good ones, Dingo, thanks! Not sure I've seen a trumpet (?) with the horizontal fingering like that......

Interesting, you come up with some good ones, Dingo, thanks! Not sure I've seen a trumpet (?) with the horizontal fingering like that......
"The rotary-system trumpet attained widespread use in countries such as Germany and Austria, while the piston-system trumpet became popular in France and elsewhere. The rotary-system trumpet has a characteristic mellow sound which blends well with strings and with other wind instruments. The piston-system trumpet boasts a flamboyant sound that stands out above the other instruments."

"The rotary-system trumpet attained widespread use in countries such as Germany and Austria, while the piston-system trumpet became popular in France and elsewhere. The rotary-system trumpet has a characteristic mellow sound which blends well with strings and with other wind instruments. The piston-system trumpet boasts a flamboyant sound that stands out above the other instruments."

Interesting! Thanks for the info.

a quick mention that the Summertime Touring bands in Italy
typically had a young prodigy type rotary trumpet player for
the spectacularly high notes and brilliant rousing passages

often someone recruited from a Music university

this position was very desirable and had the cachet of
"coolest dude on the planet" back in that era... the
festivals schedule would keep a band on the road from
Citta to Citta and living the life !

Joe called his side mounted rotary valve trumpet a
Figonina (ficonina) but i find no reference to that word online today
and he is long dead so i cannot ask him

we gigged for several years (he had switched to Mandolin for
day to day making money after moving the the USA) and he also
played a nice Bach USA piston trumpet, but i could get him to
pull out the Rotary for certain gigs and would do some songs
to feature it

Joe wrote Italian style Marches at school and worked on refining them
the rest of his life ! but for gigs he just had his relatives send him
records of whatever won at San Remo every year, and we would learn them

he wrote a few Pop songs too... ma Piccola Citta, Campione del Mondo
(when Italy won the world cup)

those little trumpets have an amazingly brilliant tone and reach

Imschgo,
Thanks for sharing the information about the variety of trumpets. I didn't even know of such a thing!
You live and learn!??

Imschgo,
Thanks for sharing the information about the variety of trumpets. I didn't even know of such a thing!
You live and learn!??
I have come to the realization, that the more I learn about the accordion (and other instruments) on this forum, how little I actually know. Thankfully, I have enough empty brain cells to retain some of the many interesting contributions from forum members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back