• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Did you purchase this book?

Happy girl

Reaction score
Have you purchased ’InternationalAccordion Favourites’ by Bruce Bollerud & did it come with a disc?

Several reviews allude to an accompanying disc, but my copy arrived yesterday without one. Although each individual song has a track disc number, no provision is made within the cover to store a disc.

It is confusing; should I have been expecting to receive disc or not?

Incidentally, this book is just as good the reviews state. . If you are seeking to improve your sight reading & get to grips with various chord sequences which frequently pop up in the treble, then this might be a book for you.

JeffJetton

Reaction score
This seems to be the trend nowadays. Most of the accordion books that came with a CD several years ago when I bought them are now sold without, directing the reader to an MP3 download site instead. I guess few people even have CD players these days, nor are computers sold with optical drives anymore.

Anyway, I do have "International Accordion Favorites" (and the CD!) and agree that it's a wonderful book. Lots of fun tunes that aren't super-complicated. That said, the bass notation is non-standard (no counterbass markings, for example) and there are no suggested fingerings, which is a shame.

The same author has a book of less-well-known tunes called "Accordion Uff Da! Let's Dance!" that is sort of a sequel to IAF and just as good. Plus it has an long (but interesting) introduction where he talks about the tunes and the fascinating Scandinavian-American old-time "house party" culture from which they came. Recommended!

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Worked, good selection of tunes. Thanks, Jeff, haven't seen that second book. Wow, waltzes and polkas from here in Wisconsin, where people actually do say "uff da!" Gonna have to get that book, or at least see if I can listen to the tunes, I don't recognize a lot of them..... Unfortunately the house parties have pretty much gone the way of covid, but hopefully we can start jamming again soon.....

Last edited:

pentaprism

Reaction score
....there are no suggested fingerings, which is a shame.
No shame to me, Jeff. It will actually save me some time and effort.

I'm playing CBA. Except for some tutor books, I haven't been able to find any music books with CBA fingerings. The first thing I do after acquiring a music book is erasing the (PA) fingering, then adding my own CBA fingering as needed.

Thanks for the recommendation.

lmschgo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Worked, good selection of tunes. Thanks, Jeff, haven't seen that second book. Wow, waltzes and polkas from here in Wisconsin, where people actually do say "uff da!" Gonna have to get that book, or at least see if I can listen to the tunes, I don't recognize a lot of them..... Unfortunately the house parties have pretty much gone the way of covid, but hopefully we can start jamming again soon.....
If you are a fan of polkas, waltzes, obereks, etc., then you may want to check out: https://concertinamusic.com/concertina-clubs/
The site's music library contains 100's of songs, arranged or notated for the concertina, but readily applicable to PA and CBA.
The music is free to download. Most of the music is handwritten and scanned, so sometimes difficult to read, but a great source for ethnic as well as other (non-ethnic) recognizable songs.

Last edited:

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, Imshgo! There is a wealth of great looking music there, I appreciate it.

lmschgo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, Imshgo! There is a wealth of great looking music there, I appreciate it.
I believe I was introduced to this site by someone on this forum. It is a goldmine for much of the Polish music I grew up with.

Probably the primary reason for me to play the accordion is reliving through music Polish family gatherings, particularly wedding receptions.
Accordion music, whether live, from phonograph records or radio, always seemd to be the backdrop to those happy gatherings.

Reactions: Tom

JeffJetton

Reaction score