• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Declassement

Glenn

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Dear Accordionists,

I have come across a number of accordion adverts (particularly CBAs) in which it notes it is an accordion with declassement.
Any ideas what declassement is meant to signify with regards to accordions?

donn

Prolific poster
Reaction score
I didn't know the word for it until today, but I believe it's a mechanical linkage that couples a button (on the right side) with two different reeds in the same bank, an octave apart. My Fratelli Crosio has this gimmick, on the low bank (and I imagine it's always done on the low bank), using a set of thin rods for each button connected with a couple of swivels. The octavo basso effect doesn't apply to the very lowest octave of the keyboard, on mine - there aren't really any extra reeds, so it plays the same voice in either register, until I get up to the second octave on the keyboard. Complain if that's unclear, as I suspect it is.

It isn't my favorite thing about this accordion. Maybe some day, the extra low voice will turn out to be very useful, but it isn't at this time, and the price I pay for it is that the mechanism isn't very robust. The swivels tend to come apart, they're not very accessible to fix and I'm not sure what I'd do to fix them anyway. Someone has fixed a few using a different kind of swivel and a really ugly solder job. This is all very likely specific to this particular make, and the ones you're looking at probably manage better, but some complexity is unavoidable.