• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Dallape and Balkan - pre-loaded on 4x - but the 8x?

joden

Reaction score
The website is a bit confusing with these two expansions - the description clearly states they are pre-loaded on the 4x but no mention is made of the 8x...

I was just going to install anyway, but Roland being Roland, it may have had some other consequence...thought I'd check.

I read a line somewhere else that they are, but I cannot find the specific sounds using the editor app.

The website is a bit confusing with these two expansions - the description clearly states they are pre-loaded on the 4x but no mention is made of the 8x...

I was just going to install anyway, but Roland being Roland, it may have had some other consequence...thought I'd check.

I read a line somewhere else that they are, but I cannot find the specific sounds using the editor app.
How about https://www.roland.com/us/products/fr-8x/downloads ? In the lower half of "Downloads and Drivers".

ok, manual says the list is Utility 15.9 - on OS 2.52 it is 15.10 - nothing is loaded, so that is sorted :)

Now to choose WHAT to load... limited space!

What I remember is that there was a *limited edition* version of the 8x with Dallapè sounds installed. So only a limited number of 8x accordions would get it. 3 years later (2016) the 4x was introduced with Dallapè sounds installed on all of them.

What I remember is that there was a *limited edition* version of the 8x with Dallapè sounds installed. So only a limited number of 8x accordions would get it
Kind of correct.

The Dallape comes with the Dallape sounds installed, you cannot uninstall them, giving you a maximum of 3 slots to play with. All other 8X have 4 slots and the Dallape sounds are available on the Roland website for free.

Kind of correct.

The Dallape comes with the Dallape sounds installed, you cannot uninstall them, giving you a maximum of 3 slots to play with. All other 8X have 4 slots and the Dallape sounds are available on the Roland website for free.
Interesting. If I'm not mistaken they sold the 8x with Dallape special edition for a premium price... and now they are giving these sounds away for free? Sounds like a peculiar business model.

the specific Dallape model also had cosmetic tweaks that were exclusive

and partly it had bragging rights included in the premium price

Right. I never quite understood the importance of cosmetic tweaks and bragging rights...
I care more about the sound of an accordion and how it feels to play.
Sadly the fr8x with Dallapè sounds does not sound like any Dallapè accordion I ever heard... (doesn't even come close).

Yes a badge and straps with the words Dallape, a serial number between 1-500, that is what Roland wanted to charge (I believe), $800US for at the time. The lowered functionality was free... lol

Forgive me for asking what must be an obvious question (I'm quite new to the accordion). I have a Roland FR4. Where exactly are the Dallape sounds?

Forgive me for asking what must be an obvious question (I'm quite new to the accordion). I have a Roland FR4. Where exactly are the Dallape sounds?
If you go to the Roland website, find the 4X downloads and download the Dallape expansions, in that file is a PDF that discussed them all in detail for you.

I have a Roland FR4. Where exactly are the Dallape sounds?
The Dallapé sounds ...
  • are stored in one of the four "Expansion Sounds" memory slots - if not deleted. To verify/delete/reload see Reference Manual p.94 (english version).
  • are probably used in some of the sound "sets" of the FR4x.
  • You can probably check which set uses the Dallapé sounds when you browse through your sets with the Roland sound editor app. Look in this forum for the thread "FR4x Reed Comparison template/set" for some info how to analyse sound sets.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. In the interim I decided to stop being needy and downloaded the FR-4X Tone & Drum list. Page 2 has 2 notes. The first says you need to download Dallape and the second says it is preloaded. If they are loaded they are in sets 61 thru 67. I'm played out today but tomorrow I'll take a look and see if I have them.

Learning bit by bit. I found the function that lets you see which expansion sounds are loaded. My FR-4x had the Alpine, Dallape, and Balken extensions on it from the factory. I loaded the Accordion Orchestra extension yesterday.

With the help of one of the Roland experts on here, I determined that the Dallape sounds are indeed preloaded in sets 60 - 67 on my Fr4x. Thing is, unless you know what you are looking for, it's not obvious becsuse they are labeled 1871, Centenario, Liturgica1, Liturgica2, Organtone, SM1965, SM2010. You have to know that these were the Dallape.

And I think they sound pretty good for what they are. Again, I never whine because my Stratocaster doesn't sound like my (fill in the blank) acoustic guitar.

I love the Dallape sounds on my Dallape 8X. I have made previous posts about the differences between my Dallape 8X and my, newer to me, used standard 8X. All I know is when I make the "Sets" and "UPG"'s identical in both 8X's memories, I like the sound/ tone of the Dallape better. The Dallape is a little more mellow and soft. This is with all the hardware knobs identical on both 8X's (Volume, Bass/Treble Balance, Reverb, Chorus, Delay, etc.). Also,, I don't use the 8X speakers. I use the "L/Mono Treble" output jack to drive my Bose Compact Speaker.

Reactions: Tom
I am not sure how the 4X works, but on the 8X, you can install the expansion bin in any of the 4 available slots. As to where the sets are located, that depends totally on the person/accordion and what is existing there.

In my case I have the following order for my expansion sets:

Screenshot 2023-06-16 at 1.29.14 PM.png

When I installed the sets, I chose the following slot numbers:
Set # 40 – Dallape – 1871
Set #41 – Dallape – Centenario
Set #42 – Dallape – Liturgica_1
Set #43 – Dallape – Liturgica_2
Set #44 – Dallape – Organtone
Set #45 – Dallape – Super M1965
Set #46 – Dallape – Super M2010

It is very easy to get lost with all the sets, registers and so on, so I kind of keep things documented except for the experimental stuff and place them on my blog/web page.

What is nice is that I can uninstall all my expansions, install them in any order and my sets/registrations all stay the same.

Reactions: Tom
I am not sure how the 4X works, but on the 8X, you can install the expansion bin in any of the 4 available slots. As to where the sets are located, that depends totally on the person/accordion and what is existing there.

In my case I have the following order for my expansion sets:

Screenshot 2023-06-16 at 1.29.14 PM.png

When I installed the sets, I chose the following slot numbers:
Set # 40 – Dallape – 1871
Set #41 – Dallape – Centenario
Set #42 – Dallape – Liturgica_1
Set #43 – Dallape – Liturgica_2
Set #44 – Dallape – Organtone
Set #45 – Dallape – Super M1965
Set #46 – Dallape – Super M2010

It is very easy to get lost with all the sets, registers and so on, so I kind of keep things documented except for the experimental stuff and place them on my blog/web page.

What is nice is that I can uninstall all my expansions, install them in any order and my sets/registrations all stay the same.

If I understand the FR4x manual correctly, it works the same.
The difference is that …

- if you do a factory reset of the FR4x there will be some sets which rely on Dallape and Balkan. Regardless whether these expansions are installed or not.
As @cestjeffici pointed out the factory default sets and which use what expansions are documented in the „FR-4X Tone & Drum List“.

- the up to 4 expansions will NOT be removed nor reinstalled by a factory reset. Only with a factory fresh Fr4x you can be sure that Dallape and Balkan are (pre)installed. So if someone had been touching the configuration before, like in a second hand or vendor-optimized FR4x, you need to check yourself.

At least in the FR1x, FR4x and FR8x (I just didn‘t look into the other models) it doesn‘t make a difference in which memory slots / in which particular order the expansions are installed. It seems that the expansions are rather adressed by their Roland-ID-numbers (1=Alpine, 2=Dallape, etc).

Back