• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Curious about the history of this Parrot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

QuaverRest

Now that Ive been playing my accordion for a few days, I have become curious about the model and history. Does anyone have any information about this model?

>PYvackF.jpg
>6Aolm22.jpg
>8EYFQKW.jpg

i have got several parrot accordions before, production date from 69, 78, 82, 90, 91 and 2003, the older they born , the better sound they have, now most or them are sold, just leaving 69 and 78 in my hand.

2003 and after suck , as it uses rubbish wood , it sounds rubbish, you can easily see the difference from the logo material, if it uses plastic , do not buy. (yours do not.)

early parrot accordion (maybe before 85') use metal material instead of silver cloth inside front panel. it sounds big and bright. (my 90 use cloth likes yours.)

my 90 and 91 use different keyboard, 91 and after use purely plastic keyboard and 90 and before wood material, 91 sounds much inferior to 90. if you can see black wood from the top on the white keys , it made before 91.

my 69 uses brown leather stamp strap, very durable, beautiful and good quality, even it have 40+ old, you still have tight bellow and not air leaking problem.

if you can find cheap and old parrot accordion, good for you, it values high than you paid, but if you can find old italian accordion with the similar price, bye bye chinese accordion.

Pecking Order of Ackordeens is generally: Italian...Too numerous to name .....Deutsche...probably Hohner and Weltmeister immediately spring into mind ....Czech ....I can only think of Delicia....but they are supposed to be damned good......

(I will stand to be edgimicated on these by the way)....after that come the Americans Russians and the French...........................the Chinese regrettably have a bit of a poor reputation...
although there are some exceptions like Clinkscale...Black Diamond ..some Hohner are Chinese built ......I am not sophisticated enough in the lug plug area to really carp on about the chinese ackordeens and some folk say buy one ..get rid of the sawdust and it may be okay.......others say avoid like the plague (we are talking new stuff here ...your Norwegian Blue should be well played in by now ).....anyway all this may just be hot air but I learned it here ......so I will be corrected ....

Jarvo

I've been having a great time with it! I'm currently visiting a friend with whom I studied for my music degree. He runs a teaching service, plays drums to an exceptionel level, and sings in his own jazz group. We have been attempting his arrangement of autumn leaves with me on accordion for accompaniment. It did not go well. Once I had a guitar however, things greatly improved, haha..

But we had fun, he loves my new accordion acquisition. Unlike my girlfriend.. but then I suppose she is the one who is most familiar with the standard of my playing..

sings in his own jazz group[/u][/b]. We have been attempting his arrangement of autumn leaves with me on accordion for accompaniment. It did not go well. Once I had a guitar however, things greatly improved, haha..

But we had fun, he loves my new accordion acquisition. Unlike my girlfriend.. but then I suppose she is the one who is most familiar with the standard of my playing..[/quote]

I sing in me ownn shed ....the neighbours dunt lahk it tho
{} {}

And you cannot rush an accordion learning process....of all the doohickeys that I have tried to learn this one is like driving a Land Rover (series 3 and earlier) ...pay attention or it will ave you.....

This thread confirms that while my model is not especially highly respected, it is far from the worst :) reasonably old, too

I love it anyway, its muchos fun

Thanks everyone!

Hey there QuaverRest,

Welcome to the wonderful Golden Age of Parrot accordions. Arthurson replied on my Parrot 120 thread as to how to determine the age of your Parrot. Look at the manufacturers label on the back. MUS: Is the model, and No: is the date. On yours it looks like 85 which would be the year. This would put it in the arena of nice models, before they lowered their standards to enter the worlds mass market demands for cheaper goods. You get what you pay for these days. Cheap price does not equal a more expensive quality product.

It's the new ones that are not highly respected, not to be confused with the older better made models. Go to my Parrot 120 bass thread and read the positive comments made by knowledgeable forum members on older Parrots.

Nathen

Nathen . enlighten me ...are you saying then that the older Parrots are worthwhile boxes to dally with ? How old is older ?

I may be looking for a small 48 button box to stash away in a caravan.

Jarvo

Hey Jarvo,

Have a look at arthurson's post above, and Jim.D's on my Parrot 120 LMM thread. If I got it right, pre 85 seems to be the cut off regarding quality build and materials.

In 75 I had two Parrots, a120 bass 4 voice and a 48 bass 2 voice. I loved both of them, there was nothing wrong with the quality of them in any respect. I also had a Hohner Atlantic 4 voice musette, so I was no stranger to quality.

By the way, my friend who had the music store at that time, lent me a dozen Parrot 12 basses with which I started a small accordion band with 10 year olds from the class I was teaching at the time. It was the best time I ever had teaching, even though I taught the school band that was comprised of conventional instruments . We are talking beginning band here, I had taken a course at university on how to set one up. Although I only taught for four years before moving on in life, I loved every minute of it.

So yes, even as we speak I too would love to get an older pre-85 48 bass Parrot to throw in the back with my Corona 3 row.

Nathen

Now that Ive been playing my accordion for a few days, I have become curious about the model and history. Does anyone have any information about this model?

>PYvackF.jpg
>6Aolm22.jpg
>8EYFQKW.jpg
Hello Quaver rest, and what a surprise as today I purchased exactly the same model of Parrot as yours. It was on eBay and I tried it before paying via eBay and then bringing it home. So tomorrow I will spend more time with it and change the straps. CJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back